Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300e
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car was running a little toasty in traffic idling or just idling in my driveway (by toasty i mean flirting with 115c and a boiling noise coming from my coolant reservoir) When the car is running hot the coolant actually boils, which ill admit is not in my top 5 sounds id like my car to be making. Anyways, the aux fan never kicks on, which i believe is the culprit. I disconnected the fan at the PS pump connection, applied 12v, and the fan works like a charm. I checked and swapped fuses for the aux fan terminal, no such luck. Where should i go from here? thermostat? How can i diagnose the issue more in depth? thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
-Happy he doesnt have to remove the aux fan assembly ;)

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,828 Posts
Aux fan relays would be the next suspect. I'd also check the pre-resistor behind the left headlight, next to the A/C receiver.

·
Registered
1987 300e
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, the preresitor was so corroded that it disintigrated as soon as i took a phillips screwdriver to it. Where can i get a new one? and if i bypass the resistor by jumping the two leads just to conclude that this was in fact the issue, are there negative consequences?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,828 Posts
Autohausaz.com, GermanStar.com, PeachParts.com, Pelicanparts.com, RockAuto.com....the list goes on.

Jayare

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Okay, the preresitor was so corroded that it disintigrated as soon as i took a phillips screwdriver to it. Where can i get a new one? and if i bypass the resistor by jumping the two leads just to conclude that this was in fact the issue, are there negative consequences?
No lower speed operation... potential faster wear on the fan.

No 'REAL' issue, particularly with a timely replacement.
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts