Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am trying to finalize the spec for my car, and am now humming and harring over the automatic wipers??

At only £90 they seem a bit of a bargin, but are they worth it or are they more of an annoyance?!?!?!?!

Can you still manually select from the three wiper speeds??

Thanks [8D]

Beverage

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Doesn't it rain there all the time? If so you should get them. You can select auto, low, and high.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Julien - 2/19/2005 3:43 PM

Doesn't it rain there all the time? If so you should get them. You can select auto, low, and high.
Hey!?!?!? Not quite all the time - just 360 days out of the year!!!! [:p]

Daft question time - is low like one wipe every 15/20 seconds, and high like one wipe every 5/10 seconds?? So does that mean it's missing the exterme high, which I would class as one wipe a second (Or that's what it feels like!!!!!) [:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
The rain sensing wipers are one of the best options that I have. When there is a very slight drizzle, they only sweep when the winshield become wet. As you accelerate and the amount of rain that collects increases, so does the frequency of the wipers. For me it will be a must on any future vehicle that I buy.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
Likewise!! I love the rainsensor wipers. Better than variable speed. I could never get the correct speed. Now just select variable and the rainsensor takes care of everything.

In the US you can only get them in a package, unless things changed.

Roberta[:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Roberta - 2/19/2005 9:37 AM

Likewise!! I love the rainsensor wipers. Better than variable speed. I could never get the correct speed. Now just select variable and the rainsensor takes care of everything.

In the US you can only get them in a package, unless things changed.

Roberta[:)][:)][:)]
Roberta:

Just picked up my car today. All I need to do is to select variable speed and the rainsensor will work?

·
Registered
SLK 200 K
278 Posts
someone on an old forum thread said that those who didnt opted for the auto wipers they can do it with the Star Diagnosis system for free. he also said that on our R171s the sensor for auto wipers is already installed on all R171s regardless the fact that some have auto wipers and others dont.
i didnt go for auto wipers which i regret. maybe i ll activate them thru the star diagnostic system.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
malibuite - 2/19/2005 4:36 PM
All I need to do is to select variable speed and the rainsensor will work?
malibuite...if you have the rain sensors (with premium package), the first knotch on the wiper turn will be sensing and vary the wiper speed according to the sensors...works great...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
One of the best options i got.

Whats your spec, and i'll let you know if there's anything i would or would not recommend.

regards

mark

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mrdeli - 2/20/2005 9:37 AM

One of the best options i got.

Whats your spec, and i'll let you know if there's anything i would or would not recommend.

regards

mark
Well Spec so far, but is changing daily!!! Scary that I need to make my mind up by Thursday!?!!? [:0]

SLK 200 - Manual
Metallic Paint - Tellur Silver
Leather - Either Black or Blue
Airscarf & Heated Seats
Folding Mirrors (so I can get it in my garage!!)
Dimming Mirrors
Bi-Xenon Lights (I'm still in two minds about this, but I do do a lot of night time driving, so think it will be worth it!!)
Parktronic (Again, I'm in two minds about this)
Parameter Steering (After reading different advice on the forum!!)
Rain Sensing Wipers (??)

Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
I always think it is best to order Mercs with most if not all options - especially those that have buttons. I hate seeing blank buttons on a dash!

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
beverage - 2/19/2005 3:23 PM

Can you still manually select from the three wiper speeds??

Thanks [8D]

Beverage
There are 3 settings; first is full auto mode. Second and third settings are constant wiping but at different speeds.

Realistically the first setting is about the only one you need.

I have found rain sensing wipers great on the cars I have had. One less thing to worry about when driving the car [:)]

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
Greek1 - 2/20/2005 12:58 AM

someone on an old forum thread said that those who didnt opted for the auto wipers they can do it with the Star Diagnosis system for free. he also said that on our R171s the sensor for auto wipers is already installed on all R171s regardless the fact that some have auto wipers and others dont.
i didnt go for auto wipers which i regret. maybe i ll activate them thru the star diagnostic system.
The following link has that discussion:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1194909&posts=7&fid=27

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you know I'm gonna be soo lazy in this car - rain sensing wipers, cruise control, electric seat!!!!

Thanks for all the different opinions - rain sensing wipers it is!!! [:D]

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
My suggestions would be:

Seriously consider automatic - come resale time the maual 200's will be very, very much harder to shift on and a dealer will, i guarantee use this as a reason to knock your px price down.
I think Tel Silver is nice, just a bit of a different hue to the iridium.
Leather, all personal preference, but i think black is the safer bet.
Airscarf and heated seat - a definate - i got the seats and not the airscarf and really wish i'd got it.
Folding mirrors i have and like :)
Parktronic - I have and don't really like. It's forever beeping at you, so much so that you almost end up ignoring it. I think it would be much better if it was just at the back of the car for reversing - can be handy however in tight spots as the car is quite awkward to judge, esp. the nose.
The zenons are good, but i must admit i did not go for them, i don't really drrive alot on very dark roads and i must say the standard lights are very good.
I would however upgarde to 17 inch wheels, i think these really make a difference to the car.

Spec is always personal, but I'd really think about that manual box.

Enjoy

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
Xenons are great. If you sit in a car with, and a car without... you will 100% want them! I love them.

Electric seats I didn't get, I mean once the seat is set for my driving position it rarely gets moved and just setting it back isn't very difficult. I seem to remember them costing a fair bit for what they are. Go with 17" alloys instead if budgeting or get them anyway if not!

I might have gone manual if 350 wasn't out of my range, but on the 200 i went auto. If resale value is any concern then definately go auto. If not then its just what you prefer to drive.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
R171200K - 2/22/2005 7:00 PM

Electric seats I didn't get, I mean once the seat is set for my driving position it rarely gets moved and just setting it back isn't very difficult.
Works if you are the only one driving the car!!! [8D] Even though I'll be the primary driver, I do swop cars with my Dad quite often (probably about once a month), and my main grumble is that I have to alter the seat afterwards, and it seems to take me several days before I can find the right position again!!!!

With doing quite a bit of night time driving - the Xenons are looking to be a definite pick.

I have decided against the parktronic - I think it would just end up getting on my nerves, and I'm very careful about parking my current R170 SLK anyway!!!!

Manual!!! I've driven the auto box, and agree it is a great box, but I'm afraid I just want the manual - mainly so I can boy race round town!!!! My current SLK is a manual and I love it!!! I do know that come resale that'll kill it - but for me it's worth it. I know I did ask my dealer and since launch they've only had 2/3 manuals through!!!

Which then leads me to the leather - with the fact I've gone for manual resale will be lower, so it does make me kinda think I might as well go for the Blue, but black is the classic MB interior!!! At the moment I just don't know!!

Wheels - 17"?? Are you talking getting OEM's or do MB do a 17" as an option?? I'll hold my hand up here and say wheels - not a clue, so any guidance most appreciated!!! Just nothing with too many spokes for cleaning!!!

Thanks for all the helpdul advice!! [:D]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts