Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual of my W211 Command says the system compensates automatically for sound volume. It did not say if the compensation was based on vehicle speed or interior ambient noise level.
On my car there is no compensation of any kind although the nav system is working normally, which would indicate the speed sensor inputs are working and it has been like this since new.

Is there a "secret menu" on the Command that allows the sound system to be adjusted? I know a lot of aftermarket Beckers have variable GALA adjustments and was wondering if there is something like it for the Command, or if this is a return to the dealer kind of thing.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
n5160u - 4/13/2005 2:42 AM

The owners manual of my W211 Command says the system compensates automatically for sound volume. It did not say if the compensation was based on vehicle speed or interior ambient noise level.
On my car there is no compensation of any kind although the nav system is working normally, which would indicate the speed sensor inputs are working and it has been like this since new.

Is there a "secret menu" on the Command that allows the sound system to be adjusted? I know a lot of aftermarket Beckers have variable GALA adjustments and was wondering if there is something like it for the Command, or if this is a return to the dealer kind of thing.
It is working but perhaps not above a given threshold. The is a secret menu open to the technician via diagnostic.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I brought the car in to the dealer today to have the Automatic volume checked out. The technician said the feature had been turned off and reset it. While I was there I mentioned that when the "Logic 7" sound feature was active the center dash speaker sounded distorted at any volume level.

The Logic 7 uses phase shifting and delays to shape the soundstage and create a fake surround field from two channels so you can expect some weird audio artifacts if you are just listening to one speakers output. Since the center dash speaker is in your face any distortion from it is much more noticeable, so my comments regarding the distortion were really about if what I was hearing was the normal response to some types of sound input.

The tech said there was a service bulletin relating to the sound problem and ordered a new speaker, mounting bracket, and an "audio gateway" so what exactly is replacing the audio gateway supposed to do? Does anyone have any knowledge what service bulletin he was referring to and what it is really supposed to address?

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Have you noticed a difference on the automatic volume control since this was reset? I am wondering if I have the same issue in my vehicle.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JG in SB - 4/23/2005 9:00 AM

Have you noticed a difference on the automatic volume control since this was reset? I am wondering if I have the same issue in my vehicle.
Finally got the car back. Had a C240 as a loaner and like a fool I had full additional insurance coverage on it thinking I would get the car back in a day.

Eight days later I have my 320 back but the insurance add on's came to $30/day so it cost over $200 just to get my car back.

The automatic volume was coded correctly but it did not work and there were no DTC's to assist in troublshooting. All of the wire harness were checked wire by wire so it follows that most of the interior and trunk were disassembled to gain access for testing. The problem was traced to the "voice command module" which was replaced along with the center speaker which was defective and a new mounting bracket to correct a floating ground problem. It seems the 05's already have the voice command module integrated into the fiber optic ring and having the dealer activate it seems to only require installing the additional switch and codeing it to function. The automatic volume uses the same microphone that the voice command and hands free phone systems use to monitor inside noise levels and the pre-amp was bad. Since I had no need for tele-aid or the overpriced MB phones, I never had a reason to use the microphones and therefore didn't even know they were defective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts