Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
1994 W124-E200
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright. my M111/E200/722.4 car has been great so far, but I still fight with minor trans issues. I had slipping when cold - quite well when warm, but still changing gears is, let's say, noticeable. I found best spot on the trans cable adjustment to fit my driving style, I changed oil and filter, put later Lucas anti-slipping additive - those changes made it a hair better each time, but still not perfect.

NOW... today I changed every rubber ending I could find looking from the top of engine (minus the 3-way connector under windshield). Some of them, at least two were in bad shape so could lead to vacuum leaks. Now everything seemed to be perfect. Car deafinitely rides better now (less slipping), but gear changes are now more rough. Quick "bump" like hammer on the metal (!) especially from 2/3, 3/4 and back to 3rd from 4th. If your wife is telling you "what's that noise from the back?" it's got deafinitely worse. Question is - did I make something wrong or it's just a tighened vacuum that needs to be adjusted on the modulator to get softer shifts? anyway, on short words it's better than before but that hard and super quick changes makes it feel that something is not right.

-
My way understaning 722 gearboxes is - to adjust trans cable to get lowest RPM change possible, but still managing to get downshifts from 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear when gas pedal is pushed quickly - so, for example when I have 3rd gear and push it quick, it would reduce to 2nd immidiately. And that with every gear Is that right? I suppose... (not talking about the kickdown button - another thing).

W163 and General M Gremlin
What's the status of the vacuum modulator?
Vacuum is good?

Registered
1994 W124-E200
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent got a chance to put the car up - I ve been once below. my trans is 722.431 and read that it should have black modulator but it has a natural colored (pretty rare as I found out) one. 99% sure its stock. Never messed with it.

Is it clockwise or ccw for softer shifts? I know I should get a bar/psi tester through test port but I dont have that tools and need to adjust just softer.

By the way - that center pin is blocked be default. Is that right?

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas

W163 and General M Gremlin
Community Search, at the top of the page.

Reactions: sat159p1

Registered
1994 W124-E200
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. So I need to turn my modulator counterclockwise a bit I suppose.
Today I expirmented with trans fluid capacity. I found it a bit too much like 2cm above the 80c mark - checked few times because it's so inaccurate..
Sucked 1,5 liters off, ride, add 0,5 per another tests - no imporvement with adding/removing fluid, so the modulator would be my next guess.

Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
When your car is off ground, please make sure your differential mounts are good as well...
Casue the trasmission trafers lots of torques to the rear, a sudden loss of torque can be felt and mistaken as a AT failure, esp, whenever there comes a gear shifting.

Registered
1994 W124-E200
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED

Allright. Will leave reply here for future lookers. My main vac to modulator was disconnected = no pressure at all = hard shifting. I connected hose, replaced ALL hose ending with silicones, turned half turn modulator (ccw) and now car is a dream to drive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts