Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove a '05 C230 Sport Sedan and was very impressed with the car. I really like both the interior and exterior styling and liked the combination of comfort, and sporty ride/handling. I've been driving a 5-speed transmission for years and, frankly, am tired of all the shifting, so I'm thinking about going for the automatic transmission in the C230. I understand that this won't give me the ultimate in performance, but what's the general concensus here on the auto transmission? Good enough, or does it kill the thrill in the sport sedan? Will this negatively affect resale value of the car or do most owners of this class of car prefer an auto transmission?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
05 c230 sport sedan
106 Posts
It really all depends on how you want to drive it. Autos have better resale value.

·
Registered
05' C230k sedan
92 Posts
i test drove the C230k sport sedan with the auto and was immediately sold on the 6-speed manual. auto was abit of a pig and it really killed the somewhat sporty feel the car had to it. i suggest test driving the auto and see for yourself. plus i love driving manuals [:D]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always thought a sports sedan should have a manual transmission and considered automatics to be no fun and slow. But in recent years automatics have really gotten better so much so that in some cars acceleration times are even. Though with the 230 SS the automatic is a little slower it's a great transmission and it really shifts well and the car seems to pull well throughout all gears. I like it and would recommend it. If you just have to have a manual get it, you should be happy with your car.

FYI; Automatics do have a higher resale and a quicker resale as well.

·
Registered
05 C230k ss benzo
29 Posts
Auto sucks...... this coming from me a guy who could barely drive manual stick anymore and loves some level of comfort. But this auto is a definite pig....great trans though and much better resale value. My third c class and all were new and all were auto and this is the one that feels the slowest. to me that is. although that's not fair cause my 99 kompressor had an upsolute chip in it and was a dragster at heart [:D]

·
Registered
05' C230k sedan
92 Posts
i must agree that although the 230's auto is sluggish, it's very smooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts