Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a late automatic self-dimming interior rear view mirror from a late SL. I want to install it into my '90 SL. Has anyone installed and wired this later mirror in an earlier R129?? What are the removal procedures of the old one? And the steps or warnings of what's to follow toward the success of the retrofit? Or is it a futile attempt at RR of the old one??

Hz[:0][8D]

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,234 Posts
To make it function at all you will have to splice 12-volts into one of the circuits under the driver's seat. The automatic dimming is supposed to be disabled when the tranny is in reverse or the dome lamp is on. If you want that functionality you'll have to splice into additional signals as well.

I don't think this substitution is worthwhile. You'll lose the power adjustment and memory features of your older mirror, and that would be a pity. A writer for "Car and Driver" got it right back in '89:

"Let the other guys go on about the 500SL's stupendous power convertible top and its strapping V-8 engine and its superb interior appointments. I'm here to tell you about the SL's best featrue: its power-operated inside rear-view mirror.

"This ingenious device is the ultimate in auto stealth. Pretend you're behind the wheel of the 500SL for a moment. You've just blown off a well-driven BMW 535i (the 500SL is mighty fast), and you look up to examine your victim. But your rear-view mirror is a tad out of adjustment. Now, you can't just reach up and grab it -- you don't want the Bimmer man to think you're actually paying attention to him, do you? So you slide your hand onto the little button on the console, give it a tweak, and --presto! -- your man's grumbling face is in full view. Best of all, he's still not sure you're even aware of his existence.

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bobterry99:

"You'll lose the power adjustment and memory features of your older mirror"

Thanks for the preview. . . though there must be a way to have your cake and eat it too. I think I'll just leave well alone and wait for someone out there to experiment.

Hz [:(][8D]

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
bobterry99 - 3/20/2005 8:37 PM

To make it function at all you will have to splice 12-volts into one of the circuits under the driver's seat. The automatic dimming is supposed to be disabled when the tranny is in reverse or the dome lamp is on. If you want that functionality you'll have to splice into additional signals as well.

I don't think this substitution is worthwhile. You'll lose the power adjustment and memory features of your older mirror, and that would be a pity. A writer for "Car and Driver" got it right back in '89:

"Let the other guys go on about the 500SL's stupendous power convertible top and its strapping V-8 engine and its superb interior appointments. I'm here to tell you about the SL's best featrue: its power-operated inside rear-view mirror.

"This ingenious device is the ultimate in auto stealth. Pretend you're behind the wheel of the 500SL for a moment. You've just blown off a well-driven BMW 535i (the 500SL is mighty fast), and you look up to examine your victim. But your rear-view mirror is a tad out of adjustment. Now, you can't just reach up and grab it -- you don't want the Bimmer man to think you're actually paying attention to him, do you? So you slide your hand onto the little button on the console, give it a tweak, and --presto! -- your man's grumbling face is in full view. Best of all, he's still not sure you're even aware of his existence.
Funny post [:)]. I do miss that option (and the locking compartments) on my 99'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts