Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an explanation for automtic braking at high speed?
The MB is a 2008 E350 Sport with the AMG wheels and appearance pkg.
18 " inch rims and 245 40 r18 front rubber.
23K miles.
About 8K miles on the new tires.
The stock Michelin Pilot on the driver's side was replaced with a Michelin Sport after a recent flat.
At normal speeds (<85) no problem.
At higher speed the brakes periodically actuated as though it was a wet road BUT THE ROAD WAS DRY. (No ABS actuation either.)
Any explations?

Thanks,
Shapes

·
Registered
2003 e500 W211
46 Posts
Wow, that sounds pretty scary...
the only thing i could possibly think of is that it perhaps has a speed limiter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You can't mix different tires on the same axle. Not even different brands or models of the tires even if they are the same size...some tires have stiffer walls, some have different shape which will triger the ESP system because at high speed one tire will ultimately rotate a bit faster than the other which will make ESP system think that there is a slipping/wet road. If one of your tires went flat then unfortunately you will also need to replace the other tire on the same axle to match the wear characteristics because if you replace only one, one tire will be worn out more than the other which is also the problem.

This is why we have limit of 80km/h on the small spare tire.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Your car will automatically brake if you have cruise control set and you're at a higher speed than the setting and you release pressure on throttle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

Based on the feedback i think it's probably the ABS detecion of subtle diferences between the new Michelin sport vs old Michelin pilot.
The dealer charged me $400 to replace the bad tire. I'll have to remember to take a second mortgage on the house when the old pilot has to be changed, so I can afford two new ones or a less expensive alterntive.

I'll look for the problem again the next time I'm in the over 85 zone.

Shapes

·
Registered
553 Posts
don't do that, esp can apply brakes to compensate for slipping and it can be dangerous. As a driver you should know that you can not mix tires on the same axle, not even the same model but different wear characteristics. I don't get how that dealer could sell you only one tire. Did you ever see ANYONE buying only one tire? Of course not.

ps: $400 is insanely expensive even for michelin unless it's like ''20 tire and 295 in width.

·
Registered
553 Posts
full size spare tires are a thing of the past :) it's just added weight that your car has to carry around, in other words pure stupidity.

This works just fine and due to the fact that even if you have full size spare tire you still can not drive as fast as you want there are NO advantages to having full size tire over this.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
Wow, the last $400 Michelin I saw was monster rear tire for a Viper.
335/30-18 at $403 a few years ago.
The Tire Rack has the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for $255 and there are even better prices out there.
Mount and balance even at a dealer should have been no more than $30 for one tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rest of the story

For those that have ben following this thread here is more of the story.

Home is Northern Virginia. The original Michelin Pilot developed a hole in the sidewall in Albany, NY on a Saturday. We were midway on a leaf peeping tour and were due in Conn later that afternoon. The Service Department of the Mercedes dealer in Albany was closed when we reached them at Noon, but they did call around to try and find a matching replacement. They could not find a match or an 18" low profile tire with the same dimensions anywhere in Albany.

We called the BMW dealer next door and they had a Michelin of the right size, but it was the Michelin Pilot Sport. The Price of the tire was $335. The labor and taxes brought it to $400. You can understand my reluctance to buy two.

Shapes

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes but now you will probably have to buy two more...umm 3 in total :D because you gonna wear down that tire and then you won't be able to just replace the other one even if it is the same model and same tire. What was wrong with driving on spare tire around for some time until you find two cheap but same tires? Anyway...now you know what you need to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts