Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995 s500, 2004 s500, 1991 190e
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1995 s500, everything works fine electronically, except the front headrests. They don't adjust up and down when i try the adjust button, all the other seat functions work fine. I tried taking the headrests out but the buttons on the back of the seats only work when the headrests are at the highest position but mine are stuck at the lowest setting, i can hear the motor working so i'm thinking it they might be offset or out of track, but i really don't know for sure. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Jon

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Take the back of the seat off, one or two screws at bottom of panel. Then slide the panel down you should find a plastic rack that is driven by the motor. Your friendly dealer should have one.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much, i will try this when i get back from jersey and let you know what i find. Once again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
This a repair I've been wanting to do since I bought the car 4 years ago but never got around it since I dont use the headrest feature at all.

I am doing a leather restoration at the moment so I need the headrest to move upward, but it wont:

Notice the round feature on the seat back. Pressing this area will release the mechanism holding the head rest within the seat. To remove the head rest, push this button in firmly and pull the head rest straight up and out.

I've pushed the button so deep and tried to pull the headrest upward but it just wont budge.

Its weird because when I was at the junkyard, I also attempted to raise a junked 140 headrest manually and it pulled up with no effort.

The hell's going on with mine? :surrender:

·
Registered
1997 CL500
1,224 Posts
This a repair I've been wanting to do since I bought the car 4 years ago but never got around it since I dont use the headrest feature at all.

I am doing a leather restoration at the moment so I need the headrest to move upward, but it wont:

I've pushed the button so deep and tried to pull the headrest upward but it just wont budge.

Its weird because when I was at the junkyard, I also attempted to raise a junked 140 headrest manually and it pulled up with no effort.

The hell's going on with mine? :surrender:[/QUOTE

Out of curiousity, what leather restoration are you doing, as i am interested in restoring my driver side leather seat cover ?

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
I am redyeing all the leather (seats, door panel pieces, etc) with Leatherique.

I'm taking pictures as I go along but I wanted to make the thread once I'm done rather than as-you-go kind of style thats mostly found in DIY threads.

I'm 6 days into the project and nowhere near completion :surrender:

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
hey fuel frenzy did you clean the your leather with thinner or something of that sort? because it needs to not have and sort of wax or other substances on it. also do light coats not heavy coats. just make sure you let it dry and do alot thin coats instead of heavy coats after each coat let it dry then do the next coat.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Yeah, I had something called "prep cleaner" to remove the current dye on the leather.

I'm almost done with the rear seat cushion, I still have to do the rest of the interior :surrender:

But lets not turn this thread off topic, I still need help on the headrest :crybaby2:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow fuelfrenzy that same thing happens with mine. The button doesnt do anything and my headrests are still stuck at the bottom, i took the back of the seat off and my motor is functioning correctly, its just that i cant get the metal headrest frame out of the plastic connector piece. I hit it a couple of times and it went up and down a couple times. Probably not the greatest idea but it seemed to work. Im going to tie a metal zip tie around the gear that the motor is attached to like it said in the uber alles article to see if that helps. However i still cant get the damn button to budge and i dont want to break it even more.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
In a cruel irony twist: I also have a 1995 S500 :D

I'll try a couple things including the uber alles DIY. I really need that headrest to pop up :surrender:

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
ok back to the topic. is the button hidden because i can't see it mine works but i want to check something out on it since it is very slow.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Its on the picture I posted in the previous page ;)

Its the one circled on the bottom left

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is easier to take the back off the seat. There are two screws in the bottom then you just slide the back panel off. Easier to see and you dont strech the leather. I tried pressing the button through the leather, now there is an indent in my seat.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
thanks i got the panel off a minute ago. thank god for wifi lol. now i am cleaning the motors and re greasing them. i should have done this in the morning its dark out now. :(

should i use any grease of it has to be specific? i have electrical grease at home. once i finish typing this and my cigarette i will tell you if that grease did the char.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
it worked :D now they both go up and down at the same speed :)

technically i quite smoke cigarettes but now i smoke cigars lol but i only smoke when i am feeling stressed i would drink but i have to drive in about an hour. my pack of 10 cigars has lasted me over two month and i only smoked 3 out of 10 in the two month period :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts