Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Winter White 2008 SLK 280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my 2008 SLK 280 two weeks ago. Before that I had a 2006 SLK 280.

Anyway, I set the headlights on the new car to Auto like I did on the old one. The other night I was driving when it was dark enough to use my high beams and they would not turn on. I could flash them, but not turn them on. If I turned the low beams to On, then the high beams would work. I looked in the owner's manual and it said this was the way the Auto headlights work in Canada.

So I took the car to the dealer and showed them the problem and told them what the manual said. After doing some research, the mechanic said it was because I had the daylight running lights set to Constant. This didn't sound right to me because I had the daylight running lights on my old car set to Constant and never had problems with the highbeams in Auto mode.

I really think my car is set up for Canadian standards. Does anyone else have this problem? Was this something that was changed between the 2006 and 2008 models? The owner's manual seems to indicate that the high beams should work in Auto even when the running lights are on Constant in the US.

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
I always thought, unless the lights are actually turned on, pushing the stalk forward to turn on the highbeams will not work. This is how it is in my 2003 C240.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlights were on when I tried to use the high beams, they came on automatically, because I keep them set on Automatic. However, if the Daylight Running Lights setting is Constant, I don't have high beams when my headlights are in Automatic mode. This was not this way for my 2006 SLK.

·
Registered
SLK 350
216 Posts
That seems very strange...whats the point in having auto headlights if you have to manually turn off daylight running mode to use your high beams?! Very strange....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point exactly! Although according to the owner's manual, that's how the lights work in Canada, but I'm in the US. I was just wondering if it's just my car or all 2008 SLKs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts