Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MB '97 SL500 AMG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a used 1997 SL500 (tomorrow)Saturday 3/26 and the salesman (Honda Dealership) does not know how to remove the top ... neither do I!
Thanks for the help! JJ

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Blues-
Be sure and have something to set the hardtop on while you put up the canvas top for inspection (push the switch the other way) . . .and be careful of the two HUGE pins on either side of the rear of the hardtop - - - I always put floor mats across the trunk just in case my fingers slip on the top.

Do yourself a favor - -put your city and state in your profile - - that way others on the forum can offer assistance.

Regards-

·
Registered
MB '97 SL500 AMG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone who answered my hardtop removal question. The car I was considering didn't have a manual and nobody at the Honda dealership knew either!I went further down the forum listings and learned that day that: the parking brake needed to be depressed, key only to start position (not with the engine running) then use the the red knob ... It worked great! I bought the car the next morning!
Thanks again for everyones help! Regards,JJ

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
JJ:
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. I've found this to be an excellent resource for information about our cars.

Enjoy !

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
hey blues -- i have a 2001 sl500 and live in hinsdale. let me know if you have any questions ,,, i'll help you if i can. cheers.

///andy (630.240.1444 or '[email protected]')

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
Hey Bluesboy and AJM,
Im in Hazel Crest, IL.
Im gonna take off my top for the first time. I'll let you know how it goes. I kinda hate to take off my glass top though. It looks so cool!

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
yeah! the weather has finally warmed here to where we can drive these badboys without their tops. good luck with the removal and don't forget to first unplug the rear window heating element cord. cheers.

·
Registered
2000 SL500
106 Posts
Hey Blue, I live in chicago and this is my second SL and have quite a bit of experience with these cars. Let me know if you need a really good shop for maintainence for your car because I have one by midway which is GREAT!

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
HEY BLACK,
What is the shop you use?
I used Euro Care in Tinley Park. They were good. Only used them for maintenance though. Now i have to get my sound system workin right. I think my amp has gone bad in the left channel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts