Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
07 s550 4matic black/black
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received a number of inquiries recently from some of you that need instructions on how to remove the hard top. Instead of calling you individually, I thought I would post here the instructions as written in the operator’s manual. Note well that I am not including a reprint of the pictures that accompany the instructions. Please keep in mind that my SL500 is a 2001; other model years’ instructions may differ. I hope this is helpful. Cheers. ///AJM

The removal or attachment of the hard top can be carried out by 2 persons.

Warning! Do not place your hands between the hardtop and the car body while the hardtop is being locked or unlocked. Serious personal injury may occur.

1. Engage the parking brake.

2. Open doors.

3. Disconnect the plug for the rear window defroster.

4. Within 10 seconds of turning the key in steering lock to position 2 (engine not running), slide soft top switch (the red button on the center console that looks like a miniature hard top) back and hold. The unlocking procedure begins after approx. 2 seconds: the roll bar lowers, the indicator lamp in the soft top switch lights up, the hard top unlocks.

5. After the hardtop has unlocked, remove the key from the steering lock and turn radio and telephone off to lower the antenna. The indicator lamp in the soft top switch should go out. Important! Removal of the key from the steering lock is a safety measure ensuring that the key cannot be turned to position 2 and the soft top switch is without function should anybody push the switch forward causing the roof locking mechanism to work. If hands are at that moment between roof and car body they can be badly injured.

6. Lift the hardtop vertically from its attachment points (‘a’ and ‘c’ pillars) and locating points (‘b’ pillar) and carefully remove to the rear. Exercise caution when maneuvering the top. To avoid paint damage, the top’s mounting pins must not be allowed to contact the body.

·
Registered
1998 MB SL500 AMG SPORT SILVER, mercedes E63 AMG1991 CADILLAC ALLANTE PEARL WTE
8 Posts
One thing I found out is that when you put the hardtop back, watchout the plastic connector for the rear defroster that goes into the socket next to the door piller, sometimes it gets caught between the hardtop and the side wall it gets squashed and becomes useless. ( cost of replacings is not expensive though just need the new plastic cover holder few bucks. BUt when you take it to dealer they say you need the entire wire harness for $$$$!!!. check the metal pin inside to see if its bented or useless, if not you just need the plastic cover.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts