1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 250 CDI
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My last thread of the night I promise!
I have the Tip gearbox, but was wondering if its possible to adjust the times in which it changes up a gear. I'm no expert, but is it something to do with gear ratios?
I just would prefer it if the car stayed in lower gears for a bit longer before changing.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
693 Posts
easy...

Hi,

I have the Tip gearbox, but was wondering if its possible to adjust the times in which it changes up a gear. I'm no expert, but is it something to do with gear ratios?
I just would prefer it if the car stayed in lower gears for a bit longer before changing.

Many thanks.
just buy an SLK32 AMG with the AMG modified gear box. IOW I doubt that you could alter the trans not without throwing massive $$$$$$$ at it.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Hi,

Many thanks.
If you drive real hard, lets say up a windy hill, it "should" do as you ask. After reverting to normal driving it will go back to "normal"

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Hi,
Many thanks.
If you don't like the way the car shifts, do it yourself. There is a shift lever in every SLK that I've ever seen, all it takes is a hand and a little effort.
Stick it in the gear you want, when you want it, it will not go into any gear that will allow an over rev.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Kompressor
104 Posts
If you don't like the way the car shifts, do it yourself. There is a shift lever in every SLK that I've ever seen, all it takes is a hand and a little effort.
Stick it in the gear you want, when you want it, it will not go into any gear that will allow an over rev.
Isn't that only in the post 2000 models? My 2000 230 doesn't have it, I wish it did though.

·
Registered
1999 230
572 Posts
n5151ts, yes we all now you got a AMG32, bully for you m8! now stop being a smart ass!
andy768, do just like Bazz, & Bruce says, use the stick manually or just drive it hard & it will stay in gear m8.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
693 Posts
ah...sadly you miss the point

n5151ts, yes we all now you got a AMG32, bully for you m8! now stop being a smart ass!
andy768, do just like Bazz, & Bruce says, use the stick manually or just drive it hard & it will stay in gear m8.
by about 10 miles

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Isn't that only in the post 2000 models? My 2000 230 doesn't have it, I wish it did though.
No, if you put the car in a gear it will stay there in pre 2000 cars until it hits the rev limiter. The shift arrangment is slightly different between the early and later cars, but you can manually shift all of them.
Pay attention to what you are doing until you get used to the way the car goes into the various gears, you'll be surprised how well the car goes when it's in the gear YOU want.
Another point, you might try leaving the car in fourth gear instead of fifth. The Owner's Manual states that the shifting is a little faster, and that may be what you are looking for. I wouldn't leave it there on a trip, but if you're out for fun at under say 90 mph fourth gear is fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts