Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor W211
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now I got the car for 1 year and on my way home from work this afternoon and this is kind of embarrassing lol but to be honest who sit and stair at all the contacts in your car we just know what is what and I never knew this I never see it before but I spot on the Gear selector my car only got
Park, Reverse Neutral, Drive not like my old man he´s MB got little more you can choose 1,2,3 manual but I see on mine on D on both sides is -D+ left side minus, right side it shows plus so I was like WOOT? and tried push the gear stick to the left and F me the gear box actually gear 1 gear down and same if I push it to the right, now is that all normal on Auto Gear Box? The last car I had with Automatic gear was a Ford Mustang V8 else always had manual gear and is most common in Europe Sweden/Denmark...

Is this normal -D+ ? I think it is but would like to know more since we all know the kick down not always is the ideal for quick acceleration and depends what speed and gear you already are in!
Only be careful get to know listen and look tachometer before actually doing so lol :D

I love it and I love beein able to always find new gadgets in this car hahaha! Who would now lol I didn't....
:bowdown:

This is how it looks in my dads Mercedes mine stops at D and just show -D+
But reacts to push left and right.. How come and is a special gear box or is this the standard? I am rather sure mine has 5 not 4.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOOT? :)

Basically.

Did you know you actually have two reverse gears?
No what? Ur kidding me? Guess then 1 low 1 high is that correct? So how does they work? Is that the same like when in D I just push right for up left for down?
hahaha ooh man I love this car freaking AWESOME...

Thanks man thank you so much is why I love this FORUM:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
So how does they work?
That S/W switch next to the gear selector controls standard/wet programs for the transmission. In standard, you use all 5 forward gears and the low ratio reverse. In wet mode, you take off in second gear and the reverse ratio is cut in half, effectively making a "new" gear.

If this doesn't quite make sense, in standard the reverse ratio is something like 3.7-3.9:1. In wet, it's like 1.7-1.9:1. I would imagine this is because instead of first gear coupled to the reverse idler, second is now used.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the S/W but was told it is Summer / winter lol my god Wet/Standard seems better I mean this is car inst relay a Winter car lol and I always wonder if that can be correct so thanks for clear that up for me a swell with the reverse. But I still wonder about the -D+ being able for force it up and down myself by flipping it right left?..
I haven't seen it in others yet. You got it to in yours?

·
Registered
1998 CLK 320 Elegance Auto
46 Posts
-D+ is for the tip=tronic box isn't it?

D-4-3-2-1 is for the standard Auto box.

In a nutshell, on the old box you select the individual gear from the gate, and the tip-tronic is just a manual override, up/down the box.

W/S is Winter/Standard which changes the Gearbox ECU to make the throttle more gentle, and change the pull off to 2nd and increase the reverse ratio to reduce wheel slip in snow or slippery conditions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok like that, sweet to know thx man you just made me even more happy..
guess also if something happens more expensive repair hahaha...

I try ask MB I go there on Wednesday they must be able to answer this.
Would be cool thx guys

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
Back to your original point... yes it's the override to pick a gear manually so you can downshift for extra pickup. But it does have some smarts to keep you from blowing the engine up with a mistimed shift.

The upshift is really weird though, you're telling it you're ok if it upshifts but it won't necessarily do it when you flick it. You can also hold it left/right to run through the gears quickly. Not sure the purpose of that except to drop it from drive to first when you're at a light.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea! How sweet so making it impossible to shift down if rpm is to high already thats good if I fuck it up lol.
I like the feature not because I have ever been in a situation not yet at least where I couldn't follow haha no to be honest this car surprise me every time is true strong engine, the 3,2 l v6 is bad ass hidden looking so nice this car like a baby who could't even harm a fly but guess again hehe...
I tested the standing still flicking the gear left and yep confirmed works like a charm.

Thank you to all of you guys for helping me out here true nice..

·
Registered
37 Posts
The upshift is really weird though, you're telling it you're ok if it upshifts but it won't necessarily do it when you flick it.
You can "tell" the car you are OK/authorizing the car to resume total control over the transmission by double tapping + when D is shown below the tach.

Example: so say you want to go down to third gear from D on the highway, double tap -, see 3, and get on it. Now the car will hold third gear until redline. When you shift up it will retain third gear if you command enough power output (because you have an electronic throttle, you don't control the throttle, you ask the car to deliver a specific load). To authorize the transmission to do its thing, double tap + to get to D, double tap + again and the transmission will resume its previously scheduled programming.

I use this for engine braking. If I select 3 (or sometimes 2) depending on the grade and conditions, and I don't touch the skinny pedal, it will hold whatever I select even if I return to D! I then double tap + and it will quickly fall through the gears to return to its normal program.

You can also hold it left/right to run through the gears quickly. Not sure the purpose of that except to drop it from drive to first when you're at a light.
Holding - will select the current gear. Holding + will select D.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aweseome

Thanks man it works how sweet saving a lot of braking and is what I miss when having automatic gears so I am very happy for the post and I also had change to try it out on my way home from work today and hey this is frk sweet :thumbsup:
I need to get used to it now and I will diffidently use if for braking..

All tips to this are most certain welcome:thumbsup:...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts