Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be posting a few seperate problems that my 80+ grandparents are having with their 2001 e320.

One problem is that the vacuum door locks will all go up and down by themselves quite often while driving? The other day he locked the doors before church and the alarm went off during the service. I think that the door locks must have opened end the car thaught that it was done manually?? Any help help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
It could have something to do with the PSE (pneumatic system equipment). The pump is located under the rear seat along with the battery. Look under the seat to see it there is moisture present. If that's not it, try cleaning the central locking switch on the dashboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I will check the PSE the next time I am over their way. Do you just pull out the rear seat or how do you access it? As for the central locking switch..can you explain where it is and what I might have to clean on it?(contacts)? Thanks again for the info.

Matt

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
You're welcome. Yes, just pull out the rear seat bottom cushion; there are 2 fasteners, one on each side. The central locking switch is on the dashboard close to the climate controls and I think the contacts are what you're after. Instructions to access that are probably in the DIY sticky section found at the top of the W210 thread pages. Intermittant problems like those are commonly due to an electrical short in "a" system, and there are no doubt other thngs that might be shorting out. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
If it's original, it has to be close at 8 years old and low voltage output causes a lot of things to go wrong.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,016 Posts
it may be the oft reported failing of the door switch. you'll see this as a
rubber covered plunger in the door jamb. eventually, in time/wear, they
are neither fully open/closed....rather flutter in between, especially with
road vibrations. you, in turn, believe it's a poltergeist thang happening

to test, tape a coin on the door, exactly opposite the switch/plunger. if
the symptom abates, you'll know to focus your attention on this inexpensive
part. either adjust....or replace (<$20 US).

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
it may be the oft reported failing of the door switch. you'll see this as a
rubber covered plunger in the door jamb. eventually, in time/wear, they
are neither fully open/closed....rather flutter in between, especially with
road vibrations. you, in turn, believe it's a poltergeist thang happening

to test, tape a coin on the door, exactly opposite the switch/plunger. if
the symptom abates, you'll know to focus your attention on this inexpensive
part. either adjust....or replace (<$20 US).
True. I think this is your problem at the driver door. The door might not lock as tight as it use to be anymore, only a slight bit will do what you decribe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts