Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should the automatic antenna behave with an aftermarket stereo? The one that came in my car had a bad motor so I replaced with a good one and still can't get it to do anything. Nothing happens regardless of how the stereo is tuned and the buttons on the dash don't do anything either. No bad fuses. Any ideas? Even if the stereo isn't connected right I would assume the buttons would work right?

·
W201 Moderator
2,216 Posts
Same as mine. Good, maybe I can help as I have done the exact same thing about a year ago and am now happily enjoying the antenna go up and down after nearly 20 years of antenna in "manual" mode.

I wish I had kept good records but as far as I remember the wire that used to be controlled by the Becker Radio needs to be tied to the active (powered on when the ignition lock is turned on) hot line.

I believe I just wired it to the cigarette lighter "hot" because it was the most convenient.

The hard part was to find the damn wire that was left hanging when the aftermarket radio was put in (not by me).
After I removed/repaired/replaced many things behind the center console and the entire dash it ended up way in the back obscured by a bunch of stuff. After much searching and expletives I found it.

Anyway your key is to find that wire (that is supposed to tell the antenna circuitry the radio is on) and convert that to "car is on" by tying it to a 12V signal that comes on when the ignition key is in position "1".

Unless you actually have an aftermarket that had the "radio on" signal coming off the back, but I doubt it since telescoping antennas are a thing in the past.

-Cheers!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,995 Posts
Aftermarket or OE antenna? Did it ever work since you acquired the car?

On my '85 I was able to get an aftermarket antenna to work with the switch. Study the wiring diagram. I think I connected it to the pin/socket that activates the antenna with the switch to the raised position.....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
pull your antenna out, put 12 volts to the pins and verify that it works first, then do a continuity check to make sure your power and ground at the switch is good and that you are getting voltage there. even with a aftermarket stereo installed, the antenna should go up when you hit the switch,

·
W201 Moderator
2,216 Posts
pull your antenna out, put 12 volts to the pins and verify that it works first, then do a continuity check to make sure your power and ground at the switch is good and that you are getting voltage there. even with a aftermarket stereo installed, the antenna should go up when you hit the switch,
Not if you have not done what I already posted earlier. That "radio on" signal needs to be powered up.
This same thing drove me nuts after I initially installed the new motor.
Because it was working fine on the bench in which I had that pin powered up I was expecting it to just work in the car.

It did not until I powered up that pin.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a rebuilt OEM unit, 100% works because i got it to work when re-wiring the harness in the back. It just doesn't work once the full connector is plugged in. Dolucasi I think is on the money for this one, as soon as I get the car back this weekend I'm going to work on finding that cable that I'm guessing the stereo install guys missed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts