Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E 320 Silver +2000 E320 Dark silver
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
my automatic switchin my 02 c320 is not working.....it always switch on the low beam and parking lamp .....so what should i do? how to fix this prob?????

·
Registered
2007 C280 4Matic Avantgarde
149 Posts
I beleive it's how that's suppose to work. They will turn off after 3-5 min. in daytime or right away if sunlight beam goes directly to light sensor.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
when you leave the lights switch on "auto" position. At night, the lights (headlights as well as parking lights) will turn on automatically and during the day time, no lights should turn on.

How about turning the switch to further steps... do the parking lights turn on (regardless of night/day) when you turn to the next step? How about about the last stop on the switch?

·
Registered
2007 C280 4Matic Avantgarde
149 Posts
On my 2007 c280 low beam turns on each time I turn engine on and stays on 3-5 min. even in sunny day. Doesn't metter if it's OFF or Auto position. I think that's because of Daytime Running Lights setting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ontmiss, if its set to constant headlamp mode not manual ,it will always turn on the lights......
and PCY thats what i am talking about ....as i read the owner manual,if u switch to auto position ,that will switch on the low beam and park lamp depending on the ambient light,(even inside the car the lamp should not switch on in the daytime in a sunny day if the interior switch is set to auto )
but the prob is that when i switch my headlamp to "auto " ,it always switch on the low beam and parking lamp even in a sunny day ,,,,and that should not happen ....and it stays on all the time.....so whats happening ???,,,,it should not work this way ......it should turn off in a sunny day and once i enter a garage or a tunnel or in a dark place, the lights should turn on automaticaly and thats what "auto" means .....
i read a thread talking about a defect light sensor in the mirror but no more info on how to fix this prob,,,,,,so anyone got ideas???

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Looks like the 'Daytime Running Lights' feature is activated via the menu system buttons on your steering.

Here is an excerpt from the manual...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope it isnt.....its set to manual........so when the switch light set to O ,no lights are on.

come on guys ........what ur car do (a 2002 c320 )when u set ur light switch to auto?
should it always turn on the low beam and parking lamp (even in a sunny day ) or should it be dependable to the ambient light(in a sunny day ,no lights at all and in dark area the lights are on)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I was referring to the setting in the menu system - accessed via the controls on the steering. You can enable/disable to either turn on 'whenever the engine is on' OR let the headlights swtich control the lights. If I understood your post correctly, the setting on your car is currently set to turn the lights on all the time (i.e., WHENEVER THE ENGINE IS ON).

If, on the other hand, it's set to 'manual' in the menu system and still has the problem... then the switch module may have gone bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey pcy
no , i set it to manual so the lights dont turn on if the light switch is on "O" when the engine is running....i turn them manually so i choose either the parking lamp or low beam lamp manually.....
but my problem is whenever i switch to "auto" the park lights and low beam turn on always even if my car is outside in a sunny day.....i guess its a sensor light problem located behind the rear view mirror(black box)....i read a lot of similar post but no one has a solution for this prob.

pcy what ur car do if u switch to "AUTO" and u set the mode to manual in the center menu system?it should enable lights in darker area and turn them off in sunny area

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
pcy what ur car do if u switch to "AUTO" and u set the mode to manual in the center menu system?it should enable lights in darker area and turn them off in sunny area
During the day time, the lights don't turn on; during night, the lights turn on as soon as I turn the engine on.

So, based on your description, I think the light sensor (in the windshield) is dead. I don't know any other solution other than replacing the windshield. That can be expensive. Wait until it has a crack. Your insurace will pick up the tab for replacing the windshield.

·
Registered
2007 C280 4Matic
8 Posts
come on guys ........what ur car do (a 2002 c320 )when u set ur light switch to auto?
should it always turn on the low beam and parking lamp (even in a sunny day ) or should it be dependable to the ambient light(in a sunny day ,no lights at all and in dark area the lights are on)
It depends which country you are in. The Cdn version doesn't allow you to disable Daytime Running Lights, and according to the Owner's Manual this means:

"When the engine is running, the low
beam headlamps are switched on.
In low ambient light conditions, the
following lamps will switch on
additionally:
. Tail and parking lamps
. License plate lamps
. Side marker lamps"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thats it pcy, as i read ....it s a sensor issue....but why should i change the windshield instead of changing only the sensor in that black box.is it feasible/???

and my car is imported from arizona......so no scdriver its not a cdn version.....

how could i open that black box pcy???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts