Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 C230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading threads about changing the 'lifetime' tranny fluid on my 97 C230 with 120K on it and the consensus has always been 'dealer fluid' ($20 p/liter) only.

With all the mention about the site Welcome to autohauz.com - Search Results for "autohauz.com", has anyone used their 'OEM Transmission Fluid' without issue? I know how finicky these tranny's are and don't want to wind up with a boat anchor.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Specifically states that the Fuchs product meets 236.10 so it will be OK

Oberoi

·
Registered
1997 C230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all...and yes, I did mean autohauzaz.com. Seems like a few hours of work, but worth it. It's interesting to note that Mercedes recently recommended CHANGING the fluid and at an interval of 35,000....a HUGE difference from lifetime eh?

·
Registered
880 Posts
First, Mercedes doesn't make the transmission, and second they don't make the fluid.

They have the fluid bottled for them, and to their spec's.

Any good name brand fluid that meets Mercedes spec's should be fine.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
There are lots of alternatives. Read the 722.6xx FAQ thread in the W210 stickies, same transmission, all the info you need.

The Shell 134 fluid can be found for about $6/USQ and it meets the spec. There was also a guy on ebay selling "change kits" of MB-labeled fluid, filter and gasket for a great price, you'd have to search the 210 forum to find the thread.

You should have a drain plug on the converter, which is excellent since you can change out most of the fluid. Buy 10Q or 9L (depending on your brand they're packaged differently) just to be sure you have enough; IIRC you'll get a bit over 8L total from the pan and converter. For that year you might also want to change the pressure springs since you're in there already, and if the little connector hasn't been changed, do it then, it's prone to leaks and causes all manner of problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts