612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my indi. do the front suspension on my 1995 S500

Both upper conrol arms
Front lower control arm Bushings
Shocks
Center Link
Subframe Bushing Kit; Front

i was quoted $1095 for the upper conrol arms ALONE. I found Autohaus Arizona and can get
Karlyn-STI
Control Arm; Front Upper Left/ RIGHT

$61.24

Meyle/Karlyn-STI
Drag Link/Center Link

$65.82

Febi-Bilstein
Subframe Bushing Kit; Front Subframe Mount Kit

$167.45

these prices are MUCH cheaper then the OEM parts. I never have went with anything but OEM until now. The reason i am considering using after market parts now is because on the Autohaus Arizona web site they go into GREAT detail explaining how their after market part suppilers have equal quality at a much lower price. I have also googled the part makers (Meyle/Karlyn-STI) and they are german companys which gave me much comfort.

This is from their website
"Further, many parts manufacturers are considered OES when, in fact, the exact same parts came on the car under a different brand name. We continue to strive to offer the direct OE replacement under whichever brand name is available.

We deal directly with many OEM/OES companies and stock the exact same parts as your local dealer - usually at substantially lower prices! It may not always come in a package with the car maker's name but it is, in fact, the very same part, manufactured by the very same company."

Does this make sence to you guys? This wil be my first time ordering major parts offline and I have always justtified spending the extra money on OEM parts for my car by remembering what our W140 cost brand new and the tech and engineering behind them, but these prices are just to good to pass up.

Has any delt with this company? Do you belive the parts will be as good as OEM? Any advice would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read the long post,

Kevin Puri

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
I have bought from them before they are great, everything is OEM(i got air filters, interior filter,fuel filter etc.,and some suspension bushings) and it all came in nicely packed box, and did i mention i am from New Zealand....and it was like in 7 days max.
Also i had some issue needed to cancel one item after i paid and the helpdesk was very helpful and sorted it out... so for me bottom line was they are cheap,OEM, and helpful....

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
When I went to replace my air filter last fall, the dealer wanted like $62 for an authentic M-B filter. The local indie shop had the same model, under a different brand name, for like $32. I asked them if it was the one M-B used from the get-go, and they said it was, but it was just marketed under a different name and therefore the cost was significantly less.

·
Registered
1991 300E, 1995 S420
177 Posts
i used to use autohaus for all my 1991 300e stuff. never had a problem and things always worked great. i might go to them to get window regulators again.

·
Registered
1997 S420, 2000 E55
255 Posts
Another thumbs up for Autohaus. I have ordered from them many times and never had a problem. When I do a repair I always CMA and order all the parts i can possibly FUBAR. Autohaus is always easy to deal with in regards to returns and credits, not to mention super fast shipping.

But that is neither here nor there. Their parts will do you just fine. They sell top-quality items.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,980 Posts
Buy from them, they sell many authentic Mercedes Parts at a low cost.

Martin

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
I've purchased almost all of my new parts from them. Very good to deal with! All of their aftermarket parts meet or exceed OEM standards.

·
Registered
2005 E55 Designo
888 Posts
I swear by AUTOHAUS AZ

I saved almost a grand when I overhauled my suspension to Bilstein & H&R coils(Tire Rack) everything that was worn I replaced as per my Indie.

A brand-new PSE for 290$ Ha ha ha, life's good on AAZ!

They even warn foreign orders to steer clear of UP$ they will rip you off with their so-called "brokerage fees" here's an example;

I ordered a kit for my ZF pump,

cost 28$

weight 1 LBS

shipping 12 dollars...prepaid.

then it arrives...additional brokerage fees 29 DOLLARS!

I complained about overshooting the declared value so they said they would "waiver it" only this time.

If possible use U.S. postal service or Fed Ex outside the USA.

·
Registered
1997 S 500
89 Posts
First negative post for Autohaus AZ

I hate to be the only naysayer here, but I've ordered from them twice and both orders were screwed up. The first order was a starter that didn't work, the worst part is I assumed it work, installed it, then spent a ton of time troubleshooting why the car wouldn't start. A major pain!

Second order was more recent - ordered 19 washers. 18 washers showed up - had to buy additional washer from dealer.

I won't order from them again. Everything will go through germanimportedparts.com, where I've had really good luck thus far.

·
Registered
93 500 sel - 95 s500
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replys! I will give it a shot and keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
current fleet: 1996 s500; 1997 BMW 328ic; 2000 Nissan Frontier; 1966 AC Cobra
279 Posts
Not sure about Arizona Autohaus

I ordered a charcoal enhanced cabin filter from Autohaus, some specialized hoses, and a BMW part.

Ordering was easy - package arrived as planned all parts present.

I had never changed the cabin filter before - the filter I removed from the car was very sturdy, had good rubber molding and plenty of filter material. The one I got from Autohaus looked and felt cheap (but it was not cheap). I dont know what brand came out of the car, there was a part number on it: PL044 and the rest was rubbed off.

The Autohaus filter was advertised at $125 original price for about $75. I could not see any charcoal in it (I dont know if you are supposed to see it). The filter would only fit one way because of the shape of the air box, but installed, the air flow arrows are in the wrong direction).

So I dont know if I am experienceing operator error or if there are other issues.

Other parts I ordered - all fine and looked like quality prarts.

With regard to other parts: please beware of Chinese made parts. They look the same, but the materials are substandard, rubber does not last as long; their metalurgy is poor and they cover over their mistakes - details upon request. Also check other threads about Chinese made motor mounts

You are better off knowing precisely where the parts are made - sometimes this info is hard to find.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
I order from them all the time. It takes a full week to ship to me, but I am cheap and go for the free shipping. Prices can't be beat and the parts have always been good.

·
Registered
1996 s 500 lang
59 Posts
I ordered a voltage regulator for my S500 from Autohaus. It was made in India. Every tool and spare part that i have encountered from China is crap and I believe that they are the same from India.

Regards

JH

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
yeh but did you know that most relays,body work, carpets etc and even the AC control units etc is made in places like France, or Czech republic. (i know its no china or india) but still not everyhitng will be from germany....

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I ordered a voltage regulator for my S500 from Autohaus. It was made in India. Every tool and spare part that i have encountered from China is crap and I believe that they are the same from India.

Regards

JH
I looked up the voltage regulator on their website for a 1996 S500, and their description clearly says Bosch brand, and the picture of the regulator provided says "made in GB," which I think means Great Britian (but I'm not certain of that).

If it isn't an original Bosch part, and they have clearly misrepresented the part, you need to call them on it and send it back.

Brett

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
AZAutoHaus is great, I buy everything from them, they sell OEM parts made by the same suppliers that made the parts originally for Mercedes, except that now the W140 is old enough for the suppliers to be able to sell the parts directly to the whole and retail seller, without going through mercedes.

here is how stuff works in the replacement parts world:

-Mercedes designs the car and all of its parts (generally speaking)

-Mercedes looks for the best deal around, for companies that can mass produce a given part, considering cost, quality, qty per year...etc for example Mahle for filters, Bosh for elecrical motors, Belshtien for shocks...etc.

-when a part supplier agrees to a contract to mass produce a piece for Mercedes, they sign a contarct in order for Mercedes to release the part specs them, such as dimentions, sizes, tolerance, Mercedes part number... etc

-in that contract, the suppliers is forced to sell the product SOLELY to Mercedes, and not release it to the public for certain period of time, usually 10 year (brakes is a good example), never in some cases (the door closure pump is a great example, ONLY HELLA and BOSH make them and they still sell them as a Mercedes part ONLY) .

-Now customers are forced to buy parts from the dealer, that jack the price way up to make another source of revenue for the Mercedes.

-after the contract expires, the suppliers are free to make the part for their own marketing plans, and hence the name AFTER MARKET.

-THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the OEM and the part sold directly to the retailer, the after market should not carry the Tristar, Mercedes-Benz' name, or Merc number (usually in this case formatted 140 00 000 000), although both parts are made by the exact company.

-In some incident, the supplier makes more OEM parts than what mercedes can buy or needs, so the supplier at the end of the contract is stuck with parts made for mercedes that they need to sell, if they store the parts until the grace perios is over, they can sell the parts on their own to AZHaus and similar places, as long as they remove the Mercedes part numper off the part, thats why you ll see a lots of AZH parts with a number scratched OFF WITH A FILE OR DRIMEL!!!

-For legal reasons, you'll notice that AZ AH and similar retailers have their own part numbering, and they sell parts for instance xxxxxxxxxx part (compatible with 140 yy yyy yyy) so they use the Merc number for refrence ONLY.

Notes:

*the above applies to all car manufacturers, but used Merc W140 as an example.

*all of the above is assuming the perfect world, where there is no pirates that carbon copy a part the second day the car is released in the market and sell the parts on thier own. none the less, this type of parts is not as common, especially in the US because they can not be imported on a mass-scale since they dont comply with the copy-rights.

*pirated parts are easy to spot, especially if you have been driving your W140 long enough, hold the part in your hand, and look at the quality of the plastic, metal, color, shape, feel, etc... does it look like something should be fitted on W140? if not then you should be in doubt... keep in mind, the authorized after market maker will adhere to the same quality Mercedes asked for in the first place.

*also, dont worry about the coutry of origin, even if its made on Mars, as long as its made for a respectful part supplier. they move their factory to "not so well reputable" countries due to labor costs not quality.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts