Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took part in the South Carolina Region Autocross event this past weekend in Florence, SC. I had a blast but my tires unfortunatley didnt. I already need new tires and this is only my second time competing. The front tires are suffering because of the huge amount of weight put on them when entering a corner. I soon realized some improvements after I increased the tire pressure from 35 to 42 psi, but it was to late to save my tires. I am having to buy new ones soon so does anybody know what kind I should get with my stock 14's? Thanks...Adam

I would have to say that my benz was the humor for the show. The benz had the most body-roll out of all the 116 cars there? I managed to get a trophy for 3rd place in my class. Haha looks like some civics and Acura rsx cant keep up with a 23 year old Benz!
Yes, I was the only Mercedes there and the only diesel.

Attachments

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhhh...... sweet fun. I miss the auto cross days alot. (Datsun Roadster)

Anywyay, a little bit of secret LP injection and you'll give them ricers a VERY solid run for the money. [:p] Some stiffer shocks and or larger sway bars to help w/body roll would help. Autocross eats tires but boy is it fun.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Wow!! You lifted a tire? Glad the car didn't rollover...congrats on the win! Did you have to do any drifting of some sort?

Stock tires: 195/70/14 just be careful when inflating those tires. It will be more responsive and you'll roll even more, especially with new tires.

Best bet is to get cheap tires for autocross (w/ a set of 4 14-inch Bundts ready to bolt in) so you can swap when needed. That way you have your regular tires, and autocross tires (cheap ones to burn out).

Yes, get a set of Bilstein HD's. But I doubt you'll be able to swap in a new sway bar, as it's incorporated across the back of the engine, just in front of the firewall. Hard to replace from what I heard.

Looks like your front tires really were absorbing all the weight. Thanks for the pics, I'll save them for reference if you don't mind. Do you have more? [:p]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
more pics. poor car [V]

marsh

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
300Diesel - 4/13/2005 12:49 AM

........Haha looks like some civics and Acura rsx cant keep up with a 23 year old Benz!.......

Congratulations!

Don't tell anybody about something that is really true[:D]

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Wow. That looks like alot of fun. Poor front tires. You gotta start drifting now! How fast were you going around those turns?

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I like BF Goodrich....Cheap and sticky. You gotta play with your boost and add some propane fumigation so you can kick some ass. I'm so excited for you, have a blast!

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
Try some spring rubbers to stiffen the front and remove after the meet.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Nice pics. I was in the MBCA-Houston Chapter's 2005 Spring Autocross about a month ago. I won third place as well in my division. I never got to post any pics. I'll try to post one now, although whenever I post a pic, I seem to have problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the replies!! I had a blast and it is the most awesome thing I have ever done! My brother videotaped the whole thing and when I was out on the track, you could hear people saying stuff like: Oh my gosh that car is about to flip! and Wow that car has the most body-roll out here!

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the replies!! I had a blast and it is the most awesome thing I have ever done! My brother videotaped the whole thing and when I was out on the track, you could hear people saying stuff like: Oh my gosh that car is about to flip! and Wow that car has the most body-roll out here!

Look closely at my rear wheel in the pic.(see the tire pulling from the rim, lol).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I'm wondering, did you weigh your car before the race? What "class" were you in?

Hey if you got the videotape, we'd love to see it if you can upload it! If you don't mind of course, and also when you've editted unnecessary images [:D]

This just proves that old diesel Benzes are very capable on the track as well as on the street, even in stock form.

On a side note, you said you raised your pressure to 42 psi? Isn't the max psi for a standard tire the size of ours be around 37? I could be wrong.

I'm still impressed with your images! And if I remember, you have that custom intake, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts