Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Today I took part in an autocross (speed test against the clock) organized by Juffali & Bros., the Mercedes dealer here in Saudi Arabia. Being a member of the press, I was supposed to participate only tomorrow on a C200 Kompressor. However, even though I've been an automotive journalist throughout my career, and I've covered so many such events, I've never actually raced in my life. So I decided to participate in my 124 today too.
The scrutineer placed me in class C Stock (3.0 liters, unmodified.) Each racer gets three runs, and the first two in each class qualify for tomorrow's (Friday's) final.
In the first run, I did 1 min 25 sec. I was disqualified in the second run for taking the wrong route, and in third run I managed to chop off five seconds.
The car was poised and stable (especially after yesterdays wheel alignment, before which I asked them to set the caster to maximum while retaining everything else as standard,) but what really delayed me was too much body lean and tire rubbing. Looks like I'm gonna be scouring breakers' shops and junkyards for some Sportline springs and roll bars soon [:D]
They told me that I seem to have good track skills and that I idd well albeit my very first participation (I'd believe them, especially that a guy with a CL 55 AMG only mananged 1:12 [:)]) One guy told me that if I had a more suitable car, I would've come in among the first five. I'm quite impressed with myself. I never actually thought I'd even make it through the course [:I]
Wish me luck on Friday [8]

TIA,
Shady

PS I couldn't photograph myself while I was driving [:D] but I'll see if any of the other reporters photographed me, and I'll try to post some pics.

·
Registered
mercedes w124 260E
639 Posts
i can't belive my ears what i'we just heard, and i tought that you are a benz purist[:)] and you raced your benz[:D] listen very carefuly because you are going to end like me[8D] with your car transformed 100%[:D][:D][:D]hahahah

·
Registered
mercedes w124 260E
639 Posts
when i started to work at my benz you told me :Sorry, but I hate it. Why would you want a Benz to look like a Lexus when Lexus wants to be a Benz so badly? now i belive that the whell turned over[:D][:D][:D][:D]
i'm holding my finger crossed for friday[8][8][8] get back with an award.

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[:D] rbadina, my Baby is still stock, and I intend to keep it that way (I don't think that installing Sportline springs and bars is exaclty "modifying" it [:p])
Gallian, actually, after yesterday, I'm seriously considering getting a used Renault Clio specifically for this kind of event. Autocross is all about maneuverability. (Of course, my wife will send a hitman after me if I tell her of getting another car just to play with [:0])
Anyway, about today, I raced with other journalists in a C200 Kompressor (a a bit of a tin can compared to the 124) and my original time was 1:15, but I got four seconds in penalties for touching two cones, so the free ticket to the Bahrain F1 went to someone else [B)]

Shady

1 - 5 of 5 Posts