Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering how many of you autocross your R170s...and if you do, what mods have you found to work good for autocross??

In a short time there are going to be several Autocross events here down by Miami, and I was thinking since I dont have anymore warranty to worry about...and the car only has 28K miles and its a 2001 (SLK 320 non-sport Auto)...to have a little fun with it. I was thinking in throwing in straight pipes, K&N filters, * pulleys, H&R Sport Springs, brembo rotors and ceramic pads....Also, I plan in removing my passanger seat and strip out the trunk and spare tire.

I plan in running my stock 16s since I have them with ZR rated rubber that only has 2500miles on them. Is there anything else you guys recommend for a good weekend of fun at the track?? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Before you work on the engine side, I highly recommend redoing your suspension first.

Try eibach roll bars and springs, koni shocks, rear camber kit by speedybenz. And I personally love BF GOODRICH G FORCE tires. If you can get 17s, they are even better!

Most of all, have fun at the track!

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Before you do anything read the SCCA rules for the class you will be racing in. With the mods listed you will get your ass handed to you as you will be running in a class with cars putting down more than twice the HP you are.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I track my car..... I did a pulley and tie a fire extinguisher in the pasenger seat.

I use bf goodrich g rated tires as well

have a seperate set for the track because i get opr on em (other peoples rubber)

expect my track video out soon. its cool I chase an m3 around and pass him. makes me wet

--deathy

·
Registered
'01 SLK320 Sport, '02 G500
101 Posts
I have run our '01 SLK320 in a couple Test & Tune events. 430 and Cklasse303 are correct, certain mods will put you in a class where you will get killed by the competition, and you will get the biggest payoff from suspension work and very good tires. On our '00 Eclipse GT, suspension was good for about a 2 sec improvement, and rims/tires were good for another 2 sec. I would suggest that you might be most competitive in B Stock, so your car can stay pretty much as is, but there is still some room for improvements (brakes, shocks, front sway bar, etc). I have seen SLK230's run in B Stock at a couple different clubs. IMO, the biggest problem with the platform is the ESP. Even when it is turned "off" it may still kick in during your average auto-x course.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Any modification to your suspension, brakes, or in some cases even changing to competition tires (slicks) will put you in the street prepared class. You don't want to do that, they will have you for a snack. Find out what is legal for the stock class and run that until you learn how to drive the car in competition, then work up.
The SLK isn't anywhere near as bad on the autocross lot or even on the track as some would have you believe. The first year I ran my SLK 230, I beat two Z-3 ///M's at a BMW autocross event, and one of them was on slicks. On the track, I have never been passed by a stock BMW or Porsche.
The idea is to have fun and learn something about how the handles and runs, don't go out and try to beat everone there. The instructors that are usually recommended at these events are good, learn as much from them as you can, especially at the track, where speeds are high. Something that I learned a long time ago was that the quickest cars aren't always the fastest or the most powerful, the driver is where the quick comes from.
Tire pressure is critical, and I suggest that if you run your stock tires you go to 40 psi in front and 37 psi in back. See how that works and adjust the rears to suit your driving style.
Don't be disappointed if you don't do well right off the bat, sometimes it takes a while to learn exactly what is happening when you turn the wheel. Something that you might want to keep in the back of your mind is that the car is fastest when you turn the steering wheel the least to get around a turn. Good luck and have fun, that's what I do.....[:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Sorry Arnee, I figure to hang onto that car 'til it completely falls apart. It only has 92K miles on it, just barely broken in...[:D][:D][:D] Still easily handles 130 mph on the track....[:0]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bruce R. - 5/13/2005 2:14 AM

Any modification to your suspension, brakes, or in some cases even changing to competition tires (slicks) will put you in the street prepared class...[:D]
Not true. You can find and download the SCCA SOLO 2 rules on their website: http://www.scca.org/Solo/Solo.asp?IdS=0551FA-8CE4B00&x=050|010&~= I can't speak to the rules for NASA, Equip Rapide, etc.

1. You can replace your shocks, but not your springs in Stock classes. The shocks can be 2-way adjustable (e.g. damp and rebound), Koni reds would work.

2. You can replace your brake pads and fluid, but you can't do bigger rotors or stainless steel brake lines. So you can use Porterfield R4S pads and Valvoline synthetic fluid.

3. You can replace the stock airfilter with a K&N, or similar. But you can't remove or modify the stock air box.

4. You can replace the front sway bar, which can reduce oversteer and/or generate understeer. We normally race a FWD Eclipse that understeers badly, so the front sway bar is the last thing we need. But in a RWD car with a short wheelbase and staggered rims, oversteer could be a problem.

5. You can replace your stock tires with anything of the same size. Hardcore auto-x usually run Falken Azenis Sport(RT-215) or Kumho Ecsta MX. Both are very sticky, but only last about 5000-8000 miles of street use. Goodyear Eagle GS-DS1 (for example) would last longer but still stick.

In B Stock, you will be running with the BMW 330 and M3, Mazda RX-8, etc. But you can definitely be competitive if you take advantage of the mods available to you.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Not true. You can find and download the SCCA SOLO 2 rules on their website: http://www.scca.org/Solo/Solo.asp?IdS=0551FA-8CE4B00&x=050|010&~= I can't speak to the rules for NASA, Equip Rapide, etc.
You are of course correct, BUT it all depends on the Club that you are running with. Locally, for instance, we can run any tire we want, including full competition slicks. I do that, mainly because they are cheaper then good street tires.
1. You can replace your shocks, but not your springs in Stock classes. The shocks can be 2-way adjustable (e.g. damp and rebound), Koni reds would work.
Shocks are not normally considered a major suspension change, where as springs are.
2. You can replace your brake pads and fluid, but you can't do bigger rotors or stainless steel brake lines. So you can use Porterfield R4S pads and Valvoline synthetic fluid.
We can run any brake lines we want, but there is really not much of an advantage to stainless lines on the short autocross courses. They can help on race tracks, but I'm still running stock lines on the '32, and have found no loss in braking, even at high speeds.
4. You can replace the front sway bar, which can reduce oversteer and/or generate understeer. We normally race a FWD Eclipse that understeers badly, so the front sway bar is the last thing we need. But in a RWD car with a short wheelbase and staggered rims, oversteer could be a problem.
Understeer is the primary problem the early SLK's, with only one sway bar, they are at a disadvantage. About the only thing you can do is adjust tire pressures, and in my case (even with two bars) I run two different brands of tires, front to back. The SLK needs more stick in front and less in back, but that is typical of most cars at the lower autocross speeds.
5. You can replace your stock tires with anything of the same size. Hardcore auto-x usually run Falken Azenis Sport(RT-215) or Kumho Ecsta MX. Both are very sticky, but only last about 5000-8000 miles of street use. Goodyear Eagle GS-DS1 (for example) would last longer but still stick.
We are allowed to run slicks as mentioned above. We are also allowed to run one size over sized as well. It makes a big differance.
In B Stock, you will be running with the BMW 330 and M3, Mazda RX-8, etc. But you can definitely be competitive if you take advantage of the mods available to you.
We don't know who will be operating the events that 560se, so it's hard to say what will or will not be allowed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh yeah, you could also have your alignment worked on, staying within or near factory tolerances. Zero out toe so it is neutral, maximize camber particularly in the rear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bruce R. - 5/14/2005 1:35 PM

We don't know who will be operating the events that 560se, so it's hard to say what will or will not be allowed.
That is why I specified SCCA. I have no idea what other clubs allow. There is not much variety available on an island in the middle of the Pacific.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I am really starting to understand this....as I am only about to turn 17, and this is really my first Auto-X as I have decided to get of the streets for once and for all.Im gonna be going to the track with NASA ( www.nasaproracing.com ). I have not really checked their rules and what do they allow or not allow. I had understood but what others have said to me that you ARE allowed to change your springs for sports. I really dont know...can someone tell me what mods are allowed in the different categories that NASA has?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts