Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autocar (7/19/00) tested a new C-series. <p>Design and Engineering: 5 Stars<br>Performance and Brakes: 3 Stars (they hated the 2 liter supercharged motor.<br>Handling and Ride: 5 Stars "rides and handles with a finesse and dynamism that takes the C-class alongside and, in some areas, ahead of the 3-series."<br>Comfort, Safety and Equipment: 5 Stars<br>Market and Finance: 5 Stars<br>Economy: 2 Stars (Poor fuel economy from supercharged four)<p>Overall: 4 Stars "whetting of our appetites for the arrival...of the C240 and C320. We feel sure that armed with sweet six-cylinder engines, the C-class assult on BMW will be even more effective."

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: Autocar (7/19/00) tested a new C-series. <p>Design and Engineering: 5 Stars<br>Performance and Brakes: 3 Stars (they hated the 2 liter supercharged motor.<br>Handling and Ride: 5 Stars "rides and handles with a finesse and dynamism that takes the C-class alongside and, in some areas, ahead of the 3-series."<br>Comfort, Safety and Equipment: 5 Stars<br>Market and Finance: 5 Stars<br>Economy: 2 Stars (Poor fuel economy from supercharged four)<p>Overall: 4 Stars "whetting of our appetites for the arrival...of the C240 and C320. We feel sure that armed with sweet six-cylinder engines, the C-class assult on BMW will be even more effective."<p><br>Well guys,not to burst your bubble but I own a 320 cab 2000 and a 2000 330 ci all I can say is the BMW handles and drives much better. It is also built better than the Benz. I have had 5 or 6 of both over the years. The CLK Cab is nice but if it were not for the resale I would go for the BMW Conv. The 320 6cyl isok it will not rv or sound like the BMW also the Benz trans is a little slow..Just my 2cents<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 320 vs 330I

: How does the smoothness of the 320 V6 compare to the 330I inline. Is the 320 noticebly less smooth? the 330i is smoother but not by such a margin that the mb can be criticised<p>I have driven neither but from what I have read I would summarise as follows:<br>bmw sportier - mb more luxurious<br>mb quieter less noise - bmw more engine and enthusiast sounds, engine smoother<br>bmw faster - mb better residuals depending on options and colour<br>bmw drive more involved - mb more relaxed and detached driver<br>bmw more fashion - mb design age better<br>bmw more modified examples - mb more standard or mature profile owner<p>it basically comes down to two interpretations of the same sector and the only real difference being one of "culture" ie the cars have different but equally valid cultures<br>to decide I assessed with which culture I fitted in best and ordered a 330i although I set out to buy the mb - final change of mind lay in the details<p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts