Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone recommend a good company for california to chicago transport for my car.
i am debating whether to take it closed or open. i was thinking with open, it make be victim to road crap and get scratches/chips, but one company told me if that was the case, then this wouldnt be the common way to move cars.
open truck will run me about 900 and closed about 11-1400

opinions

·
Registered
86 420 sel,
162 Posts
well new cars comes in open trucks most of the time, i am aware of the covers they have on hood, roof & trunk, so you might get some.

but then again for the 2-5 hundred extra i probably take the closed one.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I use horselesscarriage.com at least 2 or 3 times a year. I use to go inside only, but my friends were going outside with no bad results, so now I go outside.I will use them less, now that I have a car in Florida fulltime. They are widely regarded as the premier auto transport company across the USA.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
I've used All American Auto Transport several times with no negative reports. They use open transport and are in Bethesda. Take a look at aaat.com.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, im starting to feel a lil more comfortable with open, i wish tho, they would let you put car covers on them.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
I used Dependalble Auto Shippers and was pleased. They let you track the car online... and I had my car a week before it was scheduled to arrive. Friendly people from what my folks said when it arrived to their residence.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snibble, were they open or closed? no issues if open???

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
vdubpower - 5/1/2005 2:15 PM

snibble, were they open or closed? no issues if open???
open, plus I paid extra for top row so I don't have to worry about cars that leak have crap leak on the car. No issues at all.. they called my folks up to let them know the car is in town and set up a time for delivery to bring it home. Good people... I believe they have feedback on their site as well.

·
Registered
1987 560SEC
21 Posts
vdubpower - 4/30/2005 11:17 PM
i wish tho, they would let you put car covers on them.
I hope you're talking about the sticky cover they put on new cars, and not a regular fabric car cover. One guy here trailered his car about 300 miles with a fabric cover on it and when it was removed, the cover had flapped in the wind so much that it made several rub/burn marks in the paint.

As far as trailering open, I have shipped classics in the last few years in open trailers and have had no problems whatsoever with road grime or rock chips.

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter who you use as a transporter as long as they are bonded and insured. The transport companies (for the most part) usually accept bids from third party drivers on all of thier shipments. If you want to know the name of a covered company with a good reputation who does his own shipping, let me know. It's a small company, but when you call the phone number, you are talking to the guy doing the transporting, not some operator sending out bids to just any driver near you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to hear some of you have had good luck with open transport trucks. But the chances of debris hitting your car, hail storm, cars stacked above leaking on cars below, etc...are a common thing in the open transport business. My brother-in-law wanted to save some money and have his Conv. Jag shipped requesting "Top Load" on an open transport truck, and found out that during the transit it was stuck below and leaked on. If its a daily driver with many miles, than this might be for you, but if its a new Benz and you care about the quality of your transport service you may want to spend the extra $$$ and have it shipped enclosed. I own Safari Auto Transport. http://www.safariautotransport.com We are a small company but we do it the right way! NO STACKING! If I cant ship your car when you need it, I will point you in the right direction of a reputable company that can.

Dan Weeks
Safari Auto Transport
888-999-0998 toll free
843-889-9865 fax
http://www.safariautotrransport.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts