Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know as to how to check the oil level in auto-transmission in my w209 clk 320?

Thanks

:confused:

·
Registered
12-CLS63/04-CLK55 AMG/03-CLK320 Conv SOLD/01-ML430 Good Riddance/01 E320 wagon RIP
191 Posts
You need to buy a dipstick from a dealer (Only used to check, not left in while driving). Tube will be in the back of the motor with a cap on it and safety tab that must be removed.

I have found a lot of detailed general information on the W210 forum (E class). If you look in the stickies there is a write up with pictures for just about any thing you would ever do on a Mercedes. General procedures like checking trans fluid, filter change, brake fluid flush will be similar across the models.

See this thread. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1495833-where-insert-transmission-dipstrick.html

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Daca

Transmission oil does not get 'consumed' like engine oil, so normally it doesn't need regular checking.

Do you have any signs of leakage from your gearbox?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You need to buy a dipstick from a dealer (Only used to check, not left in while driving). Tube will be in the back of the motor with a cap on it and safety tab that must be removed.

I have found a lot of detailed general information on the W210 forum (E class). If you look in the stickies there is a write up with pictures for just about any thing you would ever do on a Mercedes. General procedures like checking trans fluid, filter change, brake fluid flush will be similar across the models.

See this thread. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1495833-where-insert-transmission-dipstrick.html

Thanks!

Daca

Transmission oil does not get 'consumed' like engine oil, so normally it doesn't need regular checking.

Do you have any signs of leakage from your gearbox?

No, not at all, just used to checking fluids ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
DOES SOMEONE HAVE A PICTURE?
CUSE IN MY CLK 320 I HAVE NEXT TO THE FIREWALL A RED TUBE WITH CAP.
BUT I FOLLOW IT AND IT GOE TO THE ENGINE!
I GUESS ITS A MANUAL CHECK IF THE SENSOR GOT BAD.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
ebs - Please don't shout here....:)

Ref. red cap - if you go to this thread, which is about DIY oil change with photos for your M112 engine, you will see the dipstick tube for the engine oil. The red cap/plug is also shown there.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

To see the dipstick tube (for a 5-speed autobox) with it's sealed cap, you have to pull off the plastic engine covers that incorporate the air filters. It is located close to the engine dipstick tube, but lower down and close to the firewall.

The folks with the 7-speed tranny don't have the luxury of a dipstick. Their ATF level is checked from underneath the car.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
The red plug in the photo goes into the engine oil dipstick tube to block the end - a dipstick is not supplied on my model.

To see the gearbox dipstick tube you have to pull off the plastic engine cover. It is sealed (you have to break the seal to remove it) and mine is black.

MB does not expect owners to regularly check the level of their ATF. There is no reference to it in my 2004 CLK Service booklet.

A notice in the WIS dated 18/2/2005 states that transmissions 722.6 & 722.9 in models 203, 209, 215, 220, & 230 should be changed ONCE after 60,000 km (37,500 miles)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts