Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the radiator (amongst other coolant parts) in a 1994 E320 and I am getting about ready to fire the car up again. Here's the question: recognizing that the radiator also cools the transmission fluid, about how much new transmission fluid should I expect to add to account for the fluid remaining in the old radiator? Not much drained out from the old radiator; although I did not turn it upside down to try and empty it.

Also, is there a need to flush the radiator for the transmission fluid side of things before running? Not sure if there's a chance that contamination could be in the new radiator.

Lastly, the transmission has MB brand fluid currently. Is there any risk in topping the fluid level with Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc fluid?

So many questions! Thanks.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,758 Posts
The transmission cooler inside the radiator is actually a heat exchanger. Maybe the diameter of a quarter and the length from upper fitting to lower. I doubt you'll see any drop in the transmission fluid level and there is no contamination issue possible with the new radiator.

Fire it up and make sure all the air has been purged from the radiator. Once the car is at operating temp, check the trans fluid level.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
2013 SL550 Grey/ Red/Black Ash wood with every option
427 Posts
TRANSMISSION FLUID INFO

velo, you'll probably take minimal fluid to top it off. Don't worry about contamination from the new radiator. Actually, you might find that once at operating temperature, it might read fine on the stick. If you add fluid from another brand, you'll be fine as long as it meets the specs for your particular model. Personally I use Castrol products, and I believe the latest Castrol ATF that will work is Dexron-VI. Some of the other Castrol ATF's are "Backward Serviceable" too. (The "Backward Serviceable" phrase is from the Valvoline website, I take no credit for creating that word combination, although I like it, LOL). I gather from the Valvoline website, you'll be ok with the Max Life DEX/MERC and Dexron VI and regular DEX/MERC ATF. Good luck and Happy Holidays................Thor

1 - 3 of 3 Posts