Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year a go I changed the trans fluid/filter on my 79TD and put in Mobil 1 synthetic fluid. It shifted like a new (well, let's say 'newer') car. I was amazed by the change. So in the last few months I've done the same to my dad's 83SD and my 'new' 80TD. Both transmissions are now, what i would call f---ing up all over the place. They are slipping pretty bad between 2nd and 3rd and sometimes 3rd/4th. Never mid-gear, just at the end of the shift. (It sounds like I did when I was learning to drive stick[:I])My TD really hold onto 2nd longer than it should before shifting up (too high rpm's). Also both are always trying to, how should I say, avoid 3rd. They shift from 2nd into 3rd and only hold thrird for a second before shifting into 4th sometimes, so at 40mph you're in 4th and really dogging it.
I'm sure that this from breaking the "varnish" from years of regular atf free from the shift valves, but my question is: is there anything that can be done? Do I just have to wait it out and hope that it works itself through and that everything will be peachy in wonderland again. Or is it more of a waiting game of just exactly how long before it blows up. Or can I do something??!!
Please help! I absolutely do not have the $1500 to replace it.
Thanks as always to all!
-matt-

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
The filter could be clogged again from the Mobil 1 breaking trash loose. I would change fi...

The filter could be clogged again from the Mobil 1 breaking trash loose. I would change filter again and
go back to basic dino ATF. I had a pal pay 3K after changing his 240D to Mobil 1 ATF. The national MBCA
technical director advises against putting Mobil 1 ATF
in Mercedes.

I sure like it in engines though. One of the people in the local MBCA chapter also put Mobil 1 ATF in his then problems that went away after going back to Dino
with a new filter.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the info! What would happen if I just changed the filter and synth back in? Do you think I already broke everything free or that there might be more crap lurking in there?
Does anyone know where to get a bulk deal on filters?[:D]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.