Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i right in thinking that if i bought a manual vito van i could transfer all the manual conversion into my 1999 auto v220.If so is there a specific model that i need to get.

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,481 Posts
I'm putting a v280 auto into my 108cdi........i just bought the whole van cheap...(£700).....that way i have everything i need....

Youll need the engine ,box all the wiring, ignition etc....probably better to buy a crashed/rusty mot failure.....;)

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,481 Posts
I sure it just be a case of changing everything over from the manual van....the 2.2cdi's are all the same....

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
going to go for it .on the look out for a rotten manual vito now.Will change everything that i can see .

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
One thing (amoung many) to sort out is the pedals and cables BEFORE you put the engine and box back in.....the clutch is fluid and the pipework is attached to the firewall...i had a leak in the pipe (no clutch) and found it impossible to remove the pipework without bending it totally out of shape, theres no room to extract it easily....i had to get a stainless flexi made to replace it....all much easier if there was no engine in the way....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does that mean i have to remove the engine from myv class to fit all the manual bits.Dont really want to have to do that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Not impossible but it might save some knuckles and swear words....:)

Couldnt be 100% sure if all the holes are there for the parts you'll be fitting...you'll have to have a good look at what goes where in both vans....

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got a manual 112 cdi coming next week .I havnt found any links to anybody doing this conversion ,even though i know its been done.Would of been good to actually read up on what was done.Im going to write down and take as many pics as possible as i do it for future reference.

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i have started to strip the donner van now.its all looking daunting so far.the subframe on the manual has a removable section .So now i have descided to swap the frames aswell.
most of it looks straight forward though apart from the electrical sid eof things.Will the manual ecu be just plug in and off i go .Also what do i do with the gearbox ecu from the auto.Gear change on the manual van is also a bit tight ,but van has been stood up for 2 years.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'd assume that if the 112 is manual and yours is auto , then you'll need the loom from the 112 so you can ditch the g/box ecu....i'm probably wrong though..:eek:
I'm doing the opposite so i've stripped absolutely everything out of my donor....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
:(...dont give up mate, sounds like youre nearly there.....why dont you transfer the 112 engine and box into your van or does your v220 have the 112 package..?

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a small update.I've fitted the clutch pedal and gear change.damn nightmare getting the clutch pipes fitted with the engine in place.Clutch and flywheel fitted.I also have the gearbox on ,I didn't change the subframe yet though.I've still got to connect the gear cables and clutch pipes to the box.I am nearly at the stage where I need to find out what writing needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Damn.i just removed my engine/box....i had trouble a while back with a damaged clutch pipe, so i had a new s/s flexi made up....much easier to work with.......:eek:

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just got to work out where the pipe fro the slave cylinder goes.did it go under the gearbox or over the top.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
OTT Bren.there should be a bracket where the grommet/p-clip on the rubber pipe fits into...its behind the fuel pipes......attached to the gearbox...13mm nut...

·
Registered
v class 220 cdi
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ive lost interest in finishing this off now shame as its nearly there.I think it will be going up for sale soon as an unfinished project.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts