Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully one of you guys can help with an odd problem that has just started with my 2000 V220cdi Auto.
The van had been away for about 4 weeks getting some bodywork done, just before it went in the air suspension stopped, so had limped it to the body shop, then managed to get a springcobversion set and limped the van to a friends for the work.
When I picked it up it seemed quicker than normal then I realised the 'box was holding gears longer so I assumed that I had the lever in 3 not D, I moved it but no difference.

Anyway, I have now worked out the full symptons - start is normal and changes from 1st to 2nd at either about 15 or 20 depending on how quick I set off. Once in 2nd it will not change into 3rd until about 4000rpm (56ish mph) and simililarly 4th won't change til 4000 and about 80ish.
I can lift off, move the lever to N then back to D before accelerating again, as long as the revs are above about 2800.

The box changes down with no problems and otherwise all seems great.

I have just changed the oil in the box removing 4.3l and filling with 4.5l before full. This has made no difference to the problem although the change is smoother

The best description is that it is as though the box is in sport mode which my van doesn't have

Does anybody know of what the cause may be?

I have removed the air suspension control unit just in case this had an impact (such as ride height interlock)

I cannot see any obvious wiring problems on first look

Is it possible that there is a speed or other sensor problem?

Is it possible that when at the body shop the battery went flat or very low and has upset the TCU?

Thanks for any help, advice or ideas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SOLVED!!

After scouring the net for ideas, I found a technical info help desk email on the UK ZF website.

I emailed and within a couple of days got a very useful response with things to check and possible areas of problems, including moisture in the gearbox connectors, binding brakes and throttle position problems.

As it happened all of the ideas checked out good.

However, following on from the throttle position checks I started digging down and came across a few posts regarding ABS ASR problems

The driver's rear wheel was marked in the accident but was overlooked on the repair. While it was being repaired the spare wheel was fitted

The spare turned out to be a 15" steel with a narrower tyre fitted. luckily I had some spare alloys with the same size tyres as the rest so fitted that

Lo and behold the gearbox nows works perfectly

How bizarre

1 - 3 of 3 Posts