Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody give any views to whether to go for a standard manual or auto option on a 115 sport. Basically using the van 50/50 motorway/urban but will also be using it to go motocross tracks with a bike. What is the auto like on a muddy field?? Also has anybody got realistic mpg figures for the 120?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Neil C:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2005 115 auto. It's been great. I've had a 120 sport as a demo and it showed 25mpg on the computer on the trips I do in the 115 auto. The 115 usually returns 33mpg.

However - at 30k miles, the 115 is now down to 25mpg, I'm getting this investigated.

Autos are generally a better bet off-road than manual anyway. I've been in muddy fields / snow in mine and the auto box is a benefit. But, the traction control doesn't work if both wheels are slipping, so you have to turn it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Auto box definately worth the £1200 option price ( before discount) 120 fuel consumption figures out of the book urban 11.9 extra urban 7.5 combined 9.2
Figures are 1/100km, i cant remember how to work out mpg figure

·
Registered
311 Posts
Vitos suck on muddy roads.
They loose traction very easily with std tyres, once they loose traction the traction control steps in, even turning off the ASR button off does not completely make it go away.
I just got back from hols and had to travel down a muddy road, at one point I was stopped, in neutral and she was sliding sideways off the road!! The same road on the way out was then dry and it was a complete breeze!
Wet grass also sucks for traction. The low spare wheel tends to catch on humps in the road.

PS: I also use mine for transporting MX bike around

·
Registered
56 Posts
That reminds me of a little scare I had a few years ago. I'd pulled onto the grass verge to let an oncoming car past in a narrow lane. When I tried to pull away I started sliding sideways. Problem was I was less than 2 meters away from a big drop. (It was the side of a hill and the road had been cut into the hillside) I was faced with a dilemma, each time I tried to move I would slide closer to the drop.

Thankfully a large group of rambles came along shortly after and with 10-15 people pushing I was able to get back onto the road.
I honestly though at one point I may have to bail out and watch my van tumble down the hillside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I now have a manual vito but am starting to wonder if i should have got a transporter. There is no chance i would be able to get ramblers to push my van with the devils off road bikes in the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts