Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
E 550 4 matic 2010
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auto highbeam/dimmer function is great ,, but the other morning when I had them set to go highbeams unless other lights are seen it would not go up to the highbeams. If I did it manually it worked. So I pulled over shut the car down restated it and went on my way. It then worked fine... Whats up, that also happened to me once with the gear shifter not working and then after a shutdown and restart it worked fine. Confused and I didn t say anything to the dealer because all is working..:surrender:

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
The auto highbeam/dimmer function is great ,, but the other morning when I had them set to go highbeams unless other lights are seen it would not go up to the highbeams. If I did it manually it worked. So I pulled over shut the car down restated it and went on my way. It then worked fine... Whats up, that also happened to me once with the gear shifter not working and then after a shutdown and restart it worked fine. Confused and I didn t say anything to the dealer because all is working..:surrender:
There are several conditions for auto-high beams to light up, speed is one. If you have had some issues with the gear shifter, it could affect the high beam auto-switching too, perhaps some CAN messages get lost.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
I just discovered how this works today, and it's AWESOME. Do you guys leave it on "Auto" at all times, i.e one click backwards?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does auto highbeam/dimmer come standard in all w212s? I don't know if my 2010 E350 Avantgarde is equiped with this feature.
How do you swicht-it on?

·
Registered
E 550 4 matic 2010
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all w212 do not have this. You put the headlight switch to the right onto the A, then you put the highbeam stick forward as turning on the highbeam. Then you just leave it likw that. The A symbol lights up in the dash. I leave my lights in the A (auto) postion at all times. I don t leave the highbeam stick forward unless I want to engage the highbeam function. BTW I never tried this function with the lights on in anyother postion. Not sure what it would do.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2012 ML350
17 Posts
all w212 do not have this. You put the headlight switch to the right onto the A, then you put the highbeam stick forward as turning on the highbeam. Then you just leave it likw that. The A symbol lights up in the dash. I leave my lights in the A (auto) postion at all times. I don t leave the highbeam stick forward unless I want to engage the highbeam function. BTW I never tried this function with the lights on in anyother postion. Not sure what it would do.
I leave mine in the A position with the stick forward all the time. I works great and is very sensitive to oncoming vehicles. I haven't had any lights flashed at me yet anyway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great feature especially here in the Pine Barrens of NJ. A lot of deer and other furry creatures come out at night. I leave the high beam set to Auto all the time and have not had any cars approaching complain about high beams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks to all for the info and comments. Followed instructions and yes, my 2010 E-350 Avantgarde comes with the auto highbeam/dimmer feature as standard equipment . So far no complains from approaching cars. This Forum is great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts