Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know if the auto in the lights switch can be disabled of deactivated?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
110 Posts
If you switch to the "0" instead of "A" then it should require you to manually turn on your headlights.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I don't know in the earlier model year Cs but in the 2012, there's no "O". Parking lights, Auto, & On are all that's there. I know in the '05 CLK, there's the Off position.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
110 Posts
I have a 2008 and there is an option to turn it off, just like your CLK. I just took a look at your model year's manual and it seems there doesn't seem to be a simple way to turn it off.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just gonna hope that somebody will figure out a way to do this cause I think it's such a waste when the lights turns on even when it's still bright outside. I just switch to parking lights whenever the headlights indicator is lit.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't have a 2012 but you might use the menu accessable through the dash to see if there is a lighting configuration that will keep them from coming on. Something like the setting for having the driving lights on all the time.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing in the menu is the On/Off setting for the DRL. Even when you set it to Off, the lights will turn on automatically when it gets dark. I actually have tried this a few times hoping it's gonna change, but no luck. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
There is no current solution to this. There seem to have been enough complaints that this very issue was the subject of a questionnaire on the MB Advisors owner's website, and the majority opinion was to revert to having an "Off" position. Whether or not they take that decision and how long it will take to implement are unknown. I would guess the W205 would be the likely opportunity.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no current solution to this. There seem to have been enough complaints that this very issue was the subject of a questionnaire on the MB Advisors owner's website, and the majority opinion was to revert to having an "Off" position. Whether or not they take that decision and how long it will take to implement are unknown. I would guess the W205 would be the likely opportunity.
Thanks for this info. I guess I'll be using the parking lights whenever I see the headlights indicator light up in Auto for quite a while.

·
Registered
2011 C200 CDI
42 Posts
I guess if you really want NO lights when driving along, you could move the switch counterclockwise to the RH or LH only side light option (European requirement when parked, I believe).

These operate only when the ignition's off, but you'd have to remember to turn back to auto when locking the car (there's no audible warning for these lights)

(I'm assuming the US spec is the same as my Aussie C200CDI)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess if you really want NO lights when driving along, you could move the switch counterclockwise to the RH or LH only side light option (European requirement when parked, I believe).

These operate only when the ignition's off, but you'd have to remember to turn back to auto when locking the car (there's no audible warning for these lights)

(I'm assuming the US spec is the same as my Aussie C200CDI)
I didn't know this and I tried it right after reading your response and it works! Actually, I was thinking about this a few months back and thought the car won't look good with what's gonna look like a busted bulb and never really tried it. Anyway, thanks very much for this info cause I really feel it such a waste & stupid when the auto lights turns on even when the sun is still out.

·
Registered
2012 C350 Sedan
45 Posts
I didn't know this and I tried it right after reading your response and it works! Actually, I was thinking about this a few months back and thought the car won't look good with what's gonna look like a busted bulb and never really tried it. Anyway, thanks very much for this info cause I really feel it such a waste & stupid when the auto lights turns on even when the sun is still out.
Some say this is a safety feature. I agree that you can see other cars more clearly on the road with lights on and there are also instances where I wished some other cars have their lights turned on during sunset or when entering a long tunnel. Different person have different response to ambient light, so why not be on a safe side by having the DRL turned on all the time?

Note that I'm not saying anything about the big headlights. If your light switch is on Auto, those should stay off during daytime.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me clarify that it's the headlights turning on when it's still bright outside that I don't like. I have no problem with the DRL. It's one of the features of the car that I like very much.

·
Registered
2011 C200 CDI
42 Posts
I don't think so. My C200CDI's the same. The headlights come on when there's still a lot of daylight around. I think it's typical German thinking - being over-cautious. Same with the wipers. They operate when the slightest amount of rain falls on the windscreen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts