Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is my wife loves her old 190d auto (87), however fourth gear has started sliping, do I tell her that it's time to let go or can it be fixed at a reasonable price the car has done 149000 but the engine is sweet as a nut.
Any help would be great thanks. Oh btw this is too good for the badge thiefs but makes us feel better :bash:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I am not sure what trans service and repair costs are in Jolly Olde, but if the car is in good shape it would be worth fixing. At 149k there should be a lot of years left on the car if the body is in good shape. Think of it this way: would the cost of repairs buy you another car?

The problem could be simply a vacuum or modulator problem etc. I notice that it is a 190D; which engine?

Are you handy with tools and test gear? When was the trans fluid and filter last changed? I would start there. Then check the operation of the trans vacuum amplifier. Most problems with trans on diesel cars tend to be vacuum system problems. The vacuum amplifier is the blue 'flying saucer' type of thing mounted on the firewall. There is a vacuum line from the top going to the transmission modulator valve. The port is marked VAC. If you can tap into this line with a vacuum gauge you can determine if the problem is really a vacuum issue. You should get about 11 inches of vac at idle.

If you don't have a vacuum gauge, the quick way to determine if it is a trans problem is to simply disconnect this vac line from the amplifier and take the car for a drive. The 1st to 2nd will be harsh, 2-3 will be a bit smoother but 3-4 should be smooth, as long as your foot is not too heavy on the pedal. This test will show if it is a trans problem or vacuum problem.
I had the same problem with my car, with flare during the the 3-4 shift. I disconnected this vac line and the 3-4 shift was smooth, and the problem turned out to be the trans amplifier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info very handy it's a 2L engine will put it in the garage this week. Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts