Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I noticed a problem with my auto-gear shift on my 1995 C220. The problem started when I replace the auto kick down. Now, the shift from 2nd to 3rd and subsequently 3rd to 4th will only be changed when the rpm hits above 3000. I can understand if this happen when the engine is not properly warm up but this problem persisted whenever I stop and restart car. Can anyone let me know what is wrong and maybe give some suggestions on how to rectify this problem. Funny thing is that, when I pull the gear down to 3 instead of D in the initial start and go, the shift is super smooth up to 3rd and when I push the gear to D after hitting 3rd, it changed to 4th without a hitch. This is very puzzling, can someone please enlighten me. Thanks in advance. [?]

·
Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
120 Posts
Sounds normal to me. The pre '96 c class all did this.

When cold, and after restart the first shift (2nd to 3rd) is normal, however 3rd to 4th always holds in gear untill 3000 rpm exactly.

This was to warm up the oxygen sensor and the cats as quick as possible. To combat emmsions or so ive heard. I dont like it either but thats how it is. my c200 does it and the trans has been fully maintained.

It should only hold to 3000rpm for the first two or three shifts from 3rd to 4th. after that the it should shift normally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply kiwi_bloke. Mine however started holding from 2nd to 3rd. Like I mentioned, if I shift the gear to 3 instead of D when I drive, the gear will shift normally to 3rd gear very smoothly, no holding at all. Its puzzling me but if you have any opinion on this, will appreciate it very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts