Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anyone please tell me how to check for transmission fluid on my s280 1999 ,i know where it is but at the top of the filler tube there seems to be an electronic terminal .does this mean dealer only? also i have found out that the number of the tranny is 7220604 01 005096, can anyone decode this? many thanks

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,980 Posts
It sounds like you have 722.6, and the 722.6 from what I hear has no dip-stick, so you need buy a "testing" dipstick from the Mercedes Dealer-See the link below. Now the 722.5 does have a dip-stick on the passenger side.

This will give you an idea...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1334827-photo-diy-722-6x-transmission-fluid-change.html

I got it from here-The W210 forum

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1368898-help-tips-diys-engine-transmission-differential-fuel-system.html

Look-up your car here, to see what transmission you have

Mercedes-Benz Club Russia | Mercedes-Benz / VIN

Hope this helps..

Martin

·
Registered
1996 S600
200 Posts
KB, the search function here is an artificial stupid, but keywords would have gotten you the information from previous posts. For reasons best known to DB, DC, and whatever it's call now, transmission dipsticks were deleted across the board. What you are seeing is a cap secured by a red clip that must be broken (replacements available) to access the tube. A tool not surprisingly resembling a dip stick is then inserted. It is inserted until it reaches a stop and need not be jammed in further -- several inches of the tool will remain uninserted. Remember, it's a tool, not a dipstick. The tool is available from several sources on line, you need not resort to a dealer; try Mercedesshop or Autohaus.

Good luck and remember the search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
atf check

many thanks to you both ,those photos martin are very clear and informative.exellent step by step guide. i,ll check out the web sites and dealers to see if i can get that measuring tool. thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts