Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 SL500 White / Grey
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, does any one about the auto up and down, I would of Thought it would have retracted when the CD player was in use and also there would have been an height adjustment switch somewhere but after looking through the owner’s manual I can’t see anything on the power aerial, am i over looking it , can anyone help? Thank you

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
The antenna goes up whenever the stereo is turned on, regardless if it is switched to radio. this is because the antenna control is wired in series with the amp power control.

If you plan on upgrading your stereo, know that aftermarket stereos have individual control leads for amps and antennas, and it is possible to "fix" the antenna so that it only goes up when you are listening to a radio source.

I found that by eliminating the problematic CD-changer in the trunk, obsoleted by new stereo with iPod/MP3, I could free up a wire that goes from the stereo to the trunk, which I could then use to re-route the antennna control.

Here's my how-to guide:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1514841-how-new-stereo-separate-amp-antenna.html

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 Mercedes
14 Posts
My radio has a cassett player...... what are the options for removing it and installing a radio with CD player?

Next my radio antenna will not extend automatically. I can pull it out manually. MB states that if the antenna motor runs when radio is turned on/off then I need a new antenna mast..... not a complete motor mast assembly. MB price $ 1xx.xx. Where is a source for one at a lesser cost?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,166 Posts
Check with Crushfield dot com. They will have replacement with instructions for your head unit. If not directly plug compatible, you can get a set of connectors and build a pigtail for it. Pretty simple job of connecting a few wires with instructions.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
hi dbischoff - I'm actually attempting your repair this weekend. I have read it twice and think I can swing it. I have the Clarion CZ500 Radio with MP3/Ipod attachment like yours.

so basically the "ANT" pwr out from the radio head, goes to the OLD CD pwr (which I don't have in my '90 anyway) and the current will ride on that wire to the antenna.

I got it right?

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
ant. mast does not move with electric motor energy. Manual extension and lowering is easy by not very MB! The nylon gear wheel has broken its engage system. Has anyone rebuilt this junction problem? Is there an non "stealer" source?

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
hi dbischoff - I'm actually attempting your repair this weekend. I have read it twice and think I can swing it. I have the Clarion CZ500 Radio with MP3/Ipod attachment like yours.

so basically the "ANT" pwr out from the radio head, goes to the OLD CD pwr (which I don't have in my '90 anyway) and the current will ride on that wire to the antenna.

I got it right?
Sorry for the late response. I went down to Scottsdale for the week, and decided to stay away from my PC and enjoy my mini-vacation.

Your description sounds right. Did it work for you?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm glad to hear it worked. I didn't know if there would be enough siimilarity in the wiring between my 01 and your 91.

And I'm just happy to be able to contribute to this great forum. I have had my SL for a little over a year and I have learned so much, thanks to all the people here.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The ironic part of all this is after one weekend to overhaul my antenna, replace mast and seals and get it to power properly with my tuner (so I could use my iPod Shuffle). I came to realize my iPod Shuffle is NOT SUPPORTED by the USB port on my Clarion CZ500. Back to square one.

I checked the online specs - and its not supported. Funny thing was before all this - it was working although with quirks - it would not recognize playlists, etc. Now it don't work at all. Guess i'll have to upgrade to a nano or mini.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,166 Posts
I am not really into radio stuffs, but can you just load your music into a thumb drive and plug it in the USB port ? Will your Clarion play it ?

·
Registered
600 Posts
MP3

I am not really into radio stuffs, but can you just load your music into a thumb drive and plug it in the USB port ? Will your Clarion play it ?
Yes. I have an ipod shuffle so it does not 'read it' from the USB port (only mini's and largers like nano and full ipod are read from the USB port) - but I can get an attachment - and plug it in to the mp3/Aux input jack wchih I'm going to do next.

I don't need a larger iPod - my little one holds hours of songs which is all i need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts