Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help to find out the right wiring from the authomatic antenna switch. (W126 280SE)

The prewious owner removed from the car the antenna itself and all the wiring and he kept only the switch from the wood trim.

I have swapped from a donor car the antenna and the wires till the central console (2 wires/one red-one white). The donor car had no switch for the antenna...it was connected straight to the radio unit.:(
In the central console I have 2 more (loose) wires: one is a positive and one is ground.
Now I have to figure out how those 4 wires must to be linked in that way that the antenna to move up and down as much as I wish.

I must mention that I have manage to make the antenna to move up/down by putting the positive wire on the central pin (the only one next to those 3 pins) and the other 2 wires that are from the antenna joined together to the upper pin (from those 3 pins).
This way, when I push the switch UP the antenna is going up but when I push DOWN nothing happens.
To make the antenna to go down I have to remove the white wire from the upper pin (the red remain there) and by pressing again UP the antenna will go DOWN...:eek:
And is a fact that I have not used the ground wire from the console...:confused:

Can someone point me the right wiring from that switch?

I tried a few combinations but with zero results...:(

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
First generation:

pin1; blue-red wire -> radio
pin2; black wire -> aut. antenna
pin3; blue-gray -> aut. antenna
pin4; blue wire -> aut antenna

pin numbers should be showed on switch or connection.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
PM me your email address and I will point you to the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found a 4 pin hole connector to the switch but I`m not sure if is from an authomatic antenna switch...It was in an other donor car...and I even do not know if that car had authomatic antenna switch...

I have cut the wires not so long from the connector...The car was completly dismantled...I do not had time to follow the wires to their ends....

Pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Um no, there are five pins on the AA switch.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Um no, there are five pins on the AA switch.

I do not understand...:( Then what is about my antenna switch? it has only 3 pins as it`s shows from the picture above...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like 4 pins in the pictures above.
Sorry...my foult...Of corse is 4 pin! :crybaby2: But is not 5 eighter!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Dan - In the pics you sent me I am a little confused.

#1 - The connector in the trunk is a 3 pin. Is the Antenna a 3 pin too?

#2 - You are using a non MB radio. Do you have the wiring diagram?

#3 - Looks like you have the switch wired properly. Was that factory?

Dan - There are two type of Hirschman Radio Antenna's. One has three pins on it and the other has 5 pins on it.

If your antenna has 5 pins and the 5 wires going to it, then it uses the "Automatic Antenna Switch" on the dash. If your antenna has only 3 pins and the harness has 3 pins, then you car is wired for a fully automatic antenna.

On the 3 pin antennas, there are only 3 wires that control the antenna position. A ground of course and 2 power wires. One is +12V switched from the radio which tells the antenna when to extend or retract. The last wire is constant +12V to power the antenna when the car is off. So when you turn off the key the signal wire goes dead and that tells the radio to shut off and the constant +12 gives it power to retract after the car is off.

The "Automatic Antennas" have two more wires and the switch. The "Up" limit and the "Down" limit. Blue/Yellow is the UP limit wire and goes from pin 4 on the back of the switch to pin 1 on the antenna. Blue/Green is the lower limit wire and goes from pin 3 on the switch to pin 4 on the antenna. The Blue/White wire comes from the Radio and is the +12V Radio on signal. It's tied to Pin 2 and goes to pin 5 on the antenna. The red/white wire on the antenna is the constant +12 and comes from Fuse 15 and goes to Pin 2 on the antenna. The last wire on the antenna is Pin 6 is brown and is the chassis ground.

So if you have a 3 wire antenna, you don't need the switch. Only if you have a 5 wire antenna. You have a 3 wire plug on the antenna, but you have the switch. Why?

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...Hope this helps...

Thank you very much mclare ! Now everything has sense to me:

... if you have a 3 wire antenna, you don't need the switch...

...You have a 3 wire plug on the antenna, but you have the switch. Why?
I have this combination because I swapped the antenna from a car that had the other type of antenna, that is going up automatically when the radio is on.

I did not know that they are different type of antennas. :eek:

I do not whish to install now the antenna to go up when the radio (CD/MP3 Player) is turned on because I had some bad experiences in the past (my 500SE has the antenna connected to the radio) when I almost broke the "mast". (I have two friends that have broke it, one of them going under a barrier toll system, the other going under his authomatic garage door).

I will try to find a sollution. Maybe I will look for a 5 PIN antenna or I will try to rewire this one to work with the switch!

Thank you again !

·
SuperModerator
13,187 Posts
Yeah thats good to know actually. I have been wanting to change my mast so i can control it myself, like Dan i dont like the fully automatic one. Sounds like unnecessary hassle though so i'll leave it.
I nearly caught mine on a tree once.

The UK is being made to go all digital quite soon and they are closing the normal radio station channels down. I guess that means normal antennas will be redundant. How annoying is that. Not that i mind digital radio, its just annoying being told like that. And the environmental impact of everybodys radios they've had for many years without problems being suddenly useless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
ianrandom
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing