Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
C280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an '85 turbo diesel (the salvage yard owner claims it's an 85) engine put into my '78 300CD. Yes, tranny too and all wiring swapped by a local salvage yard for a reasonable price. The original engine died.

My question is this. Has anyone ever seen an '85 turbo diesel engine (used in W123s and W126s 82-85) with the air filter box NOT directly sitting on the turbo unit? On the wrecked car they're pulling this engine from the filter sits tucked behind the passenger head light off next to the right fender. The turbo sits high on the intake manifold flush with the top of the valve cover and close to the hood - no room for the filter. I've never seen this. If I recall, my fathers 84 300SD - should be the same engein - had the filter box sitting on top of the turbo and intake manifold much similar to a non-turbo model. Is this something unique to the 85 engines only? Can't find any references to that year.

My concern is that I want to be sure I'm getting a geniune turbo engine and not one someone has added an after-market part. Does anyone know engine numbers or what to look for?

I will have pictures soon if this doesn't snag answers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like a 6 cylinder or a late model 5 cylinder engine from the W124 cars. Could yo...

Sounds like a 6 cylinder or a late model 5 cylinder engine from the W124 cars. Could you sample some pictures?

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
I have an '85 300SD and the turbo location and air filter are as you describe. I have a C...

I have an '85 300SD and the turbo location and air filter are as you describe. I have a California model. From what I understand they did this to make room for the trap oxidizer which is a cylindrical device located under the turbo.

·
Registered
C280
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I have an '85 300SD and the turbo location and air filter are as you describe. I have a C

I have an '85 300SD and the turbo location and air filter are as you describe. I have a California model. From what I understand they did this to make room for the trap oxidizer which is a cylindrical device located under the turbo.
[:D] Thanks for all the replies. You've all been a big help. The California thing explains alot. I live in San Diego.

I got the car back a week ago and it runs great! Again, just to reframe my story, it's a '78 3000CD and now it sports an '85 T-Diesel! The guys at the salvage yard had to gut all the electrical and vacuum hoses out from the donor car and put it into mine. All my switches and A/C control panel and instrument cluster are now all updated. I got the transmission for practically nothing. However, there was alot to be desired in most of the workmanship. I'm going to have to go over every wire or vacuum hose bracket. Apperantly the mechanic only took the time to use one screw or bolt. Thank goodness most of the important ones seem to be in place, i.e. engine and tranny mounts. I've also got a few minor interior electrical problems to look in to. Some of the vacuum hoses that operate the central locking system and environmental control duct flaps seem to be miss connected too.

[?]- Anybody have an electrical and vacuum diagram for an '85 US model?

[?] - can anyone tell me if the tachometer cable runs from the a fitting on the torque converter directly to the back of the tach on the instrument cluster or is there some other computer in between?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.