Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newest Autel BT dongle. Most affordable and portable scanner. Good coverage, very good shareable reports in PDF format. Included in price EOBD and one car line for a year. After that $19.99 a year.

Software installation simple and easy. Very large download. Uses 3.65 GB of internal storage.

On W211.057 it pics up all 47 modules.

Attachments

Reactions: Deplore

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,049 Posts
How long does it take to connect to the dongle to getting the codes?

I have something similar, but it's atrociously slow. Slow enough that the MK908 is faster. Only advantage it has over the MK908 is portability.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 10 seconds.
Now. On newer cars scanner has to establish address boundaries. About 45 seconds. Then "quick test" that takes about 2-4 minutes depending how populated vehicle is.
Selecting individual control module from the list about 20-30 seconds, faults scan about another 15 seconds.
I am using Google Pixel 4 XL. Not sure if that matters.

·
6,049 Posts
I am using Google Pixel 4 XL. Not sure if that matters.
It does, actually. The faster CPU means faster processing and faster it pulls up the relevant info. The small autel scanner I use takes minutes to get to codes (assuming no auto scan), and all that is due to the processor and the memory...it's bottlenecked by the microSD card.

MK908 has a quad core and flash memory, so bottleneck is on the bluetooth speed. Pixel 4 trounces MK908 in both, so it should be comparable, since it too is bottlenecked by BT. Is the software the same between the two, or is it neutered on the Pixel? Do you have the ability to do actuations, or special functions on the Pixel?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have the ability to do actuations, or special functions on the Pixel?
No, it is one way read only.

Something to keep in mind. On startup it needs internet connection. It validates license and checks for upgrades. Without it will not start. Not a huge issue but.
In September I have traveled to a very remote area in Colorado in my W163. From my camping spot to paved road is two hour grind downhill, super steep. I put it in Low Range to keep brakes from catching on fire. Get to the asphalt it will not disengage LO. Low Range light flashes five times. It is 60 miles to nearest town that has 3G. Off we go 50 mph @ 5000 rpm. Get to town log in to Autel, clear code for transfer case position sensor and it's all good.

Reactions: Deplore

·
6,049 Posts
Huh, that's very good info to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts