Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering - Given I own a RHD Austalian CLK 320 - the PNRD lettering, illumination and orange light showing gear engaged - are all on the "wrong"side of the gear stick.

This means that the lettering etc. is all useless as it is obscured by the gear lever.

I presume on LHD models - the lettering is closer to the driver side and so is clearly visible.

Just a minor irritation that could easily have been fixed with a RHD illumination panel being interchangeable with a LHD panel.

Anyone notice any other LHD v RHD quirks?

·
Registered
CLK320 Cabriolet 2004 (A209) in Obsidian Black with two tone grey leather.
12 Posts
In the UK we don’t get the SOS button in the roof, the panic button on the key or the emergency “gangster” boot (trunk) opening button inside the boot - allowing detainees to escape. We do get auto fold-in door mirrors...and, of course, the fully remote control roof that can be worked from outside the car, whilst it is parked (max about ten feet away) - how cool is that!!! I’ve been told that this function is disabled in the USA, but may be wrong.
Unlike most other cars you can buy in the UK, the Mercedes has the windscreen wipers and bonnet (hood) catch swapped over to RHD correctly. Of course, so they should when you consider the price of these cars here!!!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
In the UK we don’t get the SOS button in the roof, the panic button on the key or the emergency “gangster” boot (trunk) opening button inside the boot - allowing detainees to escape.
I had a thought about this. I reckon that if I was stuffed into the boot, I could flip the rear seat release levers and escape that way. Or can they be locked closed?

I agree that the LHD designed gearstick obscures the legends there on a RHD model. I had my car over a year before I discoved that I could nudge the gears up/down manually....

·
Registered
CLK320 Cabriolet 2004 (A209) in Obsidian Black with two tone grey leather.
12 Posts
I had a thought about this. I reckon that if I was stuffed into the boot, I could flip the rear seat release levers and escape that way. Or can they be locked closed?

I agree that the LHD designed gearstick obscures the legends there on a RHD model. I had my car over a year before I discoved that I could nudge the gears up/down manually....
No flippy-down rear seats on a cabriolet - so no escape possible that-a-way.

Not only do the gears move up and down by nudging the gear lever sideways, but if you nudge and HOLD the lever to the left it instantly scrolls down through all the gears, finds and engages the lowest possible ratio. I found this out - and frightened the life out of myself - when I clumsily rested my hand on the lever the other day. Won't do that again!!!

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
No flippy-down rear seats on a cabriolet - so no escape possible that-a-way.

Not only do the gears move up and down by nudging the gear lever sideways, but if you nudge and HOLD the lever to the left it instantly scrolls down through all the gears, finds and engages the lowest possible ratio. I found this out - and frightened the life out of myself - when I clumsily rested my hand on the lever the other day. Won't do that again!!!
I did that to my sister a few times when she was giving me a lift. Put it into 1st when stopped at the lights, then when she took off she was wondering why it wouldn't change gears.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Some of the differences between Australian cars and the rest of the world.

- super sticky tires required to hold on so that we dont fall off the Earth. Great for cornering, terrible fuel economy.

- driver on wrong side of car and wrong side of road.

- You have to say Goodbye when you meet people and Hello when you leave.

- No SOS button because nobody would be able to find you anyway.

- Navigation not required since it is an island and there is no escape.

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of the differences between Australian cars and the rest of the world.

- super sticky tires required to hold on so that we dont fall off the Earth. Great for cornering, terrible fuel economy.

- driver on wrong side of car and wrong side of road.

- You have to say Goodbye when you meet people and Hello when you leave.

- No SOS button because nobody would be able to find you anyway.

- Navigation not required since it is an island and there is no escape.
So true...........but then - we also dont need wipers as the sun always shines, don't need the heater, oftem don't need the indicators it seems as very few people seem to know what they are for.

Debatable who's on the wrong side though!:D

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
So true...........but then - we also dont need wipers as the sun always shines, don't need the heater, oftem don't need the indicators it seems as very few people seem to know what they are for.

Debatable who's on the wrong side though!:D
You have a point .... if you have RHD on the bottom side and LHD on the top side ... they are actually on the same side of the road ! FREAKY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts