Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way you can watch TV while the car is not stationery (while you're driving)?

Mind you this is not an aftermarket mods, it is standard from the factory. Aussie's S-Class COMAND system can be used to watch TV as well.

·
Registered
S500
19 Posts
I have done a decent amount of work with audio video installs in cars.

I need some info...

I have done a decent amount of work with audio video installs in cars.

I need some information from you before we can reach a definitive conclusion.

Does the TV not work when the car is stationary BUT the emergency brake is not on? In other words does the TV work even though the emergency break is off?

What about the car being in gear? Will the TV work when the car is in gear but not moving?

The way it usually works is that the video display is grounded to the handbrake or shifter and when either one is not on or in park the video feed turns off.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
You will need to have your COMAND configured so that TV-in-motion will work. This can b...

You will need to have your COMAND configured so that TV-in-motion will work. This can be done with the Star Diagnosis system, which most dealers will have. Unfortunately, the ability to change this coding for all four lockouts was removed in 6/2002, so you will need to find someone with the older software.

This configuration can also be carried out by others, but you will need to ship your COMAND to them (such as megacomm.de).

The speed signal is received by the TV tuner over CANBUS, so on COMANDs that receive CANBUS from the car, there really is not a way to block out the speed signal to the tuner.

-s-

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Re: You will need to have your COMAND configured so that TV-in-motion will work. This can b

This configuration can also be carried out by others, but you will need to ship your COMAND to them (such as megacomm.de).
Yes, www.megacomm.de can do it, while most dealers won't, even in Germany, due to new Europe-wide EU regulations I believe..

·
Registered
S500
19 Posts
hey Scorchie, I guess benzs arent like other av systems where the video line is hooked t...

hey Scorchie, I guess benzs arent like other av systems where the video line is hooked to a handbrake ground?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re:

hey Scorchie, I guess benzs arent like other av systems where the video line is hooked to a handbrake ground?
Correct. Almost all sensors, switches, etc. in the car are hooked to the car's network (CANBUS) and the recipients of such information "listen" to the network to see what's going on.

So the handbrake, speed, gear selector, etc. are all examined by the COMAND over CANBUS, and then TV is shown (or not).

-s-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts