Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the Aussies on the forum with Comand could help me. I am keen to know which version you have of the 'whereis' dvd that goes into the nav drive in the boot.

If you go to the 'whereis' website for registration

http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/registration/inCarNavRegister.jsp

you will see the under 'which version...' that there are choices from versions 1 to 10.

I wonder whether I got the latest version. I am a bit dissapointed with the road coverage outside of the main city areas.

Please let me know which versions you have. It is on the top left of the empty dvd case. Mine says "Version 1.1 For use with Harman Becker Automotive systems."

thanks for your help.
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK55
24 Posts
Hi roadsta,

Sorry this is not about command(as i don't get my car until August).

Just wondering if you have been to the Brisbane Motorshow, if so do they have a SLK55? I might be on the Gold Coast next weekend, and was thinking about calling up to the motorshow, if they have a 55.

Many thanks,
Anthony.

·
Registered
SLK 350 , S 500 L, C 200
109 Posts
Roadsta,

mine is version 1.1,

what is the significance of this, ? how current is this DVD?

alsie

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
I too am a bit disappointed with the regional coverage of the Aussie command DVD. In fact except for some very major highways, the coverage is almost non-existant in some parts of Victoria.

My DVD is version 1.1 as well. There is not much point in it being a DVD either. The total data size on the disk is only 110Mbytes. A CD could easily hold that, or even better an SD card. The SD card would take up a lot less space in the boot too (or maybe even be in the dash???) Obviously the DVD is good for the US or Europe where they have heaps more roads, but I wonder how full their DVD's actually are?

My pocket PC with Co-Pilot on has about 80MBytes of maps and the coverage in Victoria is streets ahead (pun intended).

If I go to the whereis web site, all the areas I visited recently are on their database, but none are on the DVD. I suspect this is a very old DVD.

It would be interesting to note if you guys in other states of Australia also have the wierd bug in the navigation system. Mine puts Burwood or Lilydale (sometimes both) on each map in smaller writing even when you are no where near either. The dealer was aware of the bug, but when I asked what the process was to upgrade when it was fixed they were very vague, to the extent they were almost saying they didn't intend to fix it and to just live with it!

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blackslk

I do not think all the places on their database will necessarily be on the DVD (they do not claim that) but I absolutely agree that the regional coverage is poor.

Three of us so far, all three version 1.1.

I am going to phone the whereis helpline, and find out whether we were given the DVD that Noah used to navigate with. Will let you guys know.

Other aussies - please confirm that you also have version 1.1.

I do not have the burwood / lilydale bug as far as I know. Will confirm.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Hi Roadsta,

Yes, I agree. Their database on the net is always going to be more up to date than a static DVD database. It would be nice if our was from a snapshot sometime in the last 12 months though. (I used whereis 2 years ago when I took the ols SLK down th great ocean road, and even then most of the roads were there).

I look forward to seeing what you find out from whereis.

Do you ever get to the area between Brisbane and the Gold Coast? I am trying to find out what coverage is like around there. (I'm planning a trip up that way later this year to see some friends) There are lots of new roads around there so I am not expecting too much, but if you have better first hand knowledge it would be interesting. I spent about 10 months working in Brisbane, 3 months of which I commuted from the Gold Coast so I know a fair bit of Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I didn't get much of a chance to see the bit in between though (except the freeway)

·
Registered
SLK 350
14 Posts
Hi roadsta,

My Iridium silver SLK350 was delivered 29 Jan & it's been fantastic!![:D][:D][:D]. Taking it easy while running it in, can't wait to really push it...

I have the same version 1.1. The Nav seems to work well. Drove back from Canberra to Sydney, trips to W'Gong, Blue mountains and the Nav has been almost flawless. Have not tested remote areas in NSW yet.

Let us know your findings with whereis.

Alex

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
SLeeK - 2/8/2005 3:30 AM

Hi roadsta,

My Iridium silver SLK350 was delivered 29 Jan & it's been fantastic!![:D][:D][:D]. Taking it easy while running it in, can't wait to really push it...

I have the same version 1.1. The Nav seems to work well. Drove back from Canberra to Sydney, trips to W'Gong, Blue mountains and the Nav has been almost flawless. Have not tested remote areas in NSW yet.

Let us know your findings with whereis.

Alex
Places like Tea Gardens and Kangaroo Valley are missing in version 9 of the CD. Nice to know that nothing has changed.

·
Registered
SLK 350
14 Posts
Hi all
I joined the SeLeKt club today when I collected my 350. Still exploring and investigating but as my daughter would say - "gobsmacked" - this is one hell of a car.

My Nav disk as delivered is from "WhereIs" and is for Harman/Becker Automotive Systems. It is flagged as Version 2.0.

Salesman strongly recommended I register with WhereIs directly for updates.

Any comments?

Oh the car is in Melbourne, Iridium/Dusky Red. Hope to meet you all in due course.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Congratulations Obsidian.

I hope we can see some pictures of your fine machine soon. I suspect you will enjoy your new toy as much as the rest of us do. It is a truely awsome machine!

Hope to see you along the bay one day soon.

I would love to see that version 2.0 DVD. It would be interesting to see if it solves the issue with Burwood or Lilydale coming up on the screen. If so I might head back to the dealer and get them to upgrade mine.

Any chance we could meet up some time and let me slip the version 2 disk in my machine to see if it fixes the bug?

·
Registered
SLK 350 , S 500 L, C 200
109 Posts
would love to know how version 1.1 differs from version 2. - so if anyone in aus checks this out please post.

- also would love to know when version 2 became avilable - should we all have version 2 as a default?

·
Registered
SLK 350
14 Posts
Please outline the problems you are having and I can quickly try them on my V2

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aussie SLKs

Thanks for you interest. I was away for three days for business (for once by CAR - you can guess which one) so I fell a bit behind in answering your posts.

Blackslk,

About Gold Coast coverage - it will be good, because the whereis DVD has it as a 'metro' area. BTW, you can scroll there (just put your scale very high, the move the cursor to the vicinity of the Gold Coast, and then reduce the scale again. That will give you an idea of the coverage there - or anywhere else for that matter.)

SLeeK

Enjoy! A blast indeed.

Miroj

You refer to version 9. Do you have the Whereis version 9? If so, you are about 7 or 8 ahead of the rest of us!

AnthRam

I asked my dealer what MBs there were at the motorshow -he did not mention the 55. Go anyway!

Obsidian

"Gobsmacked" your daugher said. Well, she is right. Such a good old British word. Is that where you are from? (Lived in London for a few years.)

Count yourself lucky - you seem to be the only person to have received V2.

ALL

I phoned Whereis. They supply the software to Mercedes, and Mercedes format / copy it on the DVD to be read by the Harman Becker system. She could or would not give me more info or tell me which version was the latest Aus version. (We do know by now that it is not 1.1) She suggested that I phone Mercedes. I spoke to my dealer, and asked him to find out what version is the latest. He promised to let me know. I might still phone MB direct too.

Will let you guys know.

In the meantime, enjoy those wheels and take care.

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Hi all,

I caught up with Obsidian on the weekend and he very kindly let me slip his version 2 DVD nav disk in my car. Interestingly it did not just change the maps, but did a software upgrade as well. After that, the bug I had appeared to be gone. I didn't check for coverage or other features compared to my V1.1 disk though. When I put my V1.1 disk back in, it did another software upgrade (downgrade??) and the bug was back. I have been onto my dealer and will let everyone know the feedback I get.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
BlackSLK - 2/13/2005 9:31 PM

Hi all,

I caught up with Obsidian on the weekend and he very kindly let me slip his version 2 DVD nav disk in my car. Interestingly it did not just change the maps, but did a software upgrade as well. After that, the bug I had appeared to be gone. I didn't check for coverage or other features compared to my V1.1 disk though. When I put my V1.1 disk back in, it did another software upgrade (downgrade??) and the bug was back. I have been onto my dealer and will let everyone know the feedback I get.
Its not an upgrade or rom change, it's simply a pre-load into memory.

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
Got the car yesterday.Checked the version. It is 2.1 on the dvd label.

Maybe worthwhile checking with your dealer for an update?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
roadsta - 2/6/2005 9:48 AM

Maybe the Aussies on the forum with Comand could help me. I am keen to know which version you have of the 'whereis' dvd that goes into the nav drive in the boot.

If you go to the 'whereis' website for registration

http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/registration/inCarNavRegister.jsp

thanks for your help.
roadsta
SLK = CLS = S = SL = CL = E = version 2.1 is the latest as of last month.

If anyone you know has the 2.1 DVD it only has about 130Mb of data on a 4GB disc. At $650 you might want to keep the original at home and use a copy in your car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey guys

does anyone have an updated version of the maps?? as i purchased one to work on all Harman/Becker systems but it wont work. my car came with version 2.0 and its really outdated now and merc wanna charge $900 for a new disk. Could i possibly buy a copy of the updated maps of one of u guys??

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts