Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aus slk drivers,

I am interested in two accessories - the bonnet fins and the chrome front fin covers. I phoned my dealer and this is what they told me:

1. Chrome radiator fin covers - A$387 (set) - 4 sets in Australia.

2. Slk 55 bonnet fins - A$370 per side = A$740. Need to order from Singapore (?) Apparently they come complete with a new air intake grill - a waste since you have one already.

I think this is very expensive, esp the fins. I ordered the chrome radiator fin covers, but not the fins. Does anyone know where / how I could get the fins cheaper in Australia, even if they are not OEM? I like OEM, but not at more than $100 for each fin. Any place overseas that one could order them from (other than r171.co.uk.)? Agent1, any ideas?

Incidentally, it would be good if all Aussies on the forum could reply to this post, even with an empty reply. I think it would be interesting to see how many regular Aussie slk fans we have on the forum.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
roadsta - 3/29/2005 6:18 AM

Aus slk drivers,

I am interested in two accessories - the bonnet fins and the chrome front fin covers. I phoned my dealer and this is what they told me:

2. Slk 55 bonnet fins - A$370 per side = A$740. Need to order from Singapore (?) Apparently they come complete with a new air intake grill - a waste since you have one already.

I think this is very expensive, esp the fins. I ordered the chrome radiator fin covers, but not the fins. Does anyone know where / how I could get the fins cheaper in Australia, even if they are not OEM? I like OEM, but not at more than $100 for each fin. Any place overseas that one could order them from (other than r171.co.uk.)? Agent1, any ideas?

Incidentally, it would be good if all Aussies on the forum could reply to this post, even with an empty reply. I think it would be interesting to see how many regular Aussie slk fans we have on the forum.

cheers
roadsta
I hear this UK forum is slow to ship. I think that Steve at www.mbenznl.com would be a far easier way to acquire these parts.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
I'm still here too.

I've had lots of troubles with my SLK.

I took it back to the dealer to get the mirror which was the wrong colour fixed, and the creased rear plastic trims replaced (next to the window). The mirror got fixed OK, but now the rear plastic has an even bigger crease. And I am now gettting ESP failures, tire pressure failures, speedtronic failures, telephone failures. It's going back tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't turn out like the first R170 I had which had to be replaced in it's entirety.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
roadsta - 3/30/2005 10:18 PM

Aus slk drivers,

cheers
roadsta
roadsta,

"for my mercedes.com" (no spaces) has 6 chrome aerowings for the bonnet for US$79 (and chrome strips for the grill for US$99!). The checkout page says "Customers requiring delivery outside the continental USA will be contacted with the shipping total for final approval prior to shipping". I dunno what the quality is like; perhaps any of our American friends who have bought these can comment.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
BlackSLK - 3/30/2005 1:00 AM

I'm still here too.

I took it back to the dealer to get the mirror which was the wrong colour fixed, and the creased rear plastic trims replaced (next to the window). The mirror got fixed OK, but now the rear plastic has an even bigger crease. And I am now gettting ESP failures, tire pressure failures, speedtronic failures, telephone failures. It's going back tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't turn out like the first R170 I had which had to be replaced in it's entirety.
BlackSLK,

Sorry to hear about all your problems! The ESP and tyre pressure problems are related. It's due to faulty steering angle sensors. It appears to be a "common" problem (and the one and only problem I've had, so far). My dealer ordered replacement sensors about 4 weeks ago, but they haven't arrived yet.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
two dogs - 3/29/2005 4:11 PM

BlackSLK - 3/30/2005 1:00 AM

I'm still here too.

BlackSLK,

Sorry to hear about all your problems! The ESP and tyre pressure problems are related. It's due to faulty steering angle sensors. It appears to be a "common" problem (and the one and only problem I've had, so far). My dealer ordered replacement sensors about 4 weeks ago, but they haven't arrived yet.

Cheers,
....Julian
I had a couple of angle sensors go bung on me after installing a linguatronic module and it turned out that in some cars the angle sensors were a bad batch.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BlackSLK - 3/30/2005 11:00 PM

I'm still here too.

Blackslk

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am not sure I understand the 'creases' - how about a photo.

I too had the ESP / tyre thing. As two dogs said - a very common problem. Mine is fine now.

Let's hope this is the end of your hassles.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
two dogs - 3/28/2005 9:02 PM

"for my mercedes.com" (no spaces) has 6 chrome aerowings for the bonnet for US$79 (and chrome strips for the grill for US$99!). The checkout page says "Customers requiring delivery outside the continental USA will be contacted with the shipping total for final approval prior to shipping". I dunno what the quality is like; perhaps any of our American friends who have bought these can comment.

Cheers,
....Julian
I got mine from "for my mercedes.com" - they arrived in the UK in about 4 days, were made in Germany, and appear to be of very high quality. With the US$/Sterling exchange rate as it is at the moment, they were about half the price that I could have got them direct from Germany (and that includes shipping). BTW - every time I order anything from this company, I've received a daft little prezzy - this time it was a 'belly button brush' - apparently ideal for cleaning air-vents and computer keyboards[:p][:p]

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Got the car back tody and the ESP and tyre issues are fixed.

The rear plastic trim is also fixed so sorry I can't take any photos of the fault. This is the fault several Aussie owners have noticed on their cars. The trim on either side of the rear window is plastic. If not fitted properly, it develops a crease in the plastic which eventually becomes a crack. Usually this is at the top because the trim is sitting up on the rubber above it. There is a post somewhere which describes the fault and has a picture. When I took delivery of my car I checked these trims and the driver's side one had a crease. The passenger side one was sitting up on the rubber. The dealer elected to replace both. Their first try resulted in the new driver's side one getting an even bigger crease near the bottom, and the passengers side one popped right off when I opened the boot (and was damaged in the process). This also appears to cause the rear window rubber at the pivot point to leak when it rains (It seems to distort the rubber).

The dealer also replaced the rear parcel shelf (the bit under the roll bars) which was bucking up on each side (Obsidian pointed this out when he compared it to his car so thank you Obsidian)

The dealer still has a phone controller on order to fix the issues I have with the phone. Intermittently the command system says to insert the sim card in the phone, even though the phone has a sim card and is fully operational. Sometimes the phone also displays an insert sim card message while it is plugged in to the cradle, but when you unplug the phone from the cradle it works ok again. I eliminated the phone itself as the problem by trying two other phones with different firmware (other people at work have the same phone) It appears Mercedes are aware of some issue because the techs seemed to know what was happening fairly quickly (the tech checked the firmware of the phone while I was watching so I assume there may also be an issue with certain Nokia firmware as well). I use a Nokia 6230 phone.

There are still a couple of other issues to be resolved, including both doors creaking especially with the roof down (they have tried adjusting the locking mechanism once). I had this as an ongoing problem with the second of my R170 SLKs. I also get air from the aircon coming out from the gap where the centre console joins the carpet on the driver's side. Not a bad fault except when you drive long distances and find your left leg starts to freeze (the centre console and gear lever get pretty cold too). Apparently fixing this will require them to pull the whole centre console out to find which duct is leaking so they will fix it on the next trip to the service centre.

I am also waiting to see if the dealer is going to replace my navigation disk which puts the wrong suburbs on maps. Obsidian's Version 2 disk fixes the issue so I assumed they could just put this version disk in my car. Apparently it isn't that simple and the dealers don't have ready access to these disks.

These little problems are peanuts compared to my previous SLK R170, and hopefully the above documentation will help some of you identify potential problems you may not have noticed. The car is still a fantastic piece of machinery to own and drive.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
The original post about the creases in the rear trim is at

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1197822&posts=9&hl=delivery

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
Woolly - 3/31/2005 2:52 AM

two dogs - 3/28/2005 9:02 PM

Cheers,
....Julian
I got mine from "for my mercedes.com" - they arrived in the UK in about 4 days, were made in Germany, and appear to be of very high quality. With the US$/Sterling exchange rate as it is at the moment, they were about half the price that I could have got them direct from Germany (and that includes shipping). BTW - every time I order anything from this company, I've received a daft little prezzy - this time it was a 'belly button brush' - apparently ideal for cleaning air-vents and computer keyboards[:p][:p]
G'day Woolly,

Thanks for your comments on the items from "for my mercedes.com".

I initially had no intention of "tarting up" my car, but after seeing the pictures of the chrome grille "wings" on roadsta's car (and your's), I've now decided to order some from them.

I'm still not sure about the aerowings, though.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
SLK 350 , S 500 L, C 200
109 Posts
greetings from Perth,

I had the O2 sensors replaced - MB recall,
Only a few very minor problems - still have a soft rattle ? in door.

Few mods so far - (Never thought I would want to change a thing )
- Have the aero wings - look great - R171 - guess I was lucky - delivery within a week
- black - brake light - love the change it has made to the rear end
- a/c upgrade - simple to do - with help from the forum, looks great and WORKS !!!
- have the whole Zaino kit - just waiting for the time to apply the stuff

Just love this car !!!!

Has anyone in Aus checked version 2 of the nav DVD to see if there are any significnat changes ?

Alsie

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like "for my mercedesdotcom" is the best bet if you do not want to pay OEM prices. Agent1, do you agree? Any other options closer to Aus?

Blackslk, hope they sort your problems out. Please let us know how you go with the Nav CD update - I am keen to know.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK 350
14 Posts
G'day all,

Two months & 3000km of sheer driving bliss...my SLK350 has been great except for a few minor glitches.

Had the steering angle sensor malfunction fixed,thanks to this forum knew it was common. Roof would not open after parking in the sun on a hot day, was also fixed by Marshalls(fantastic service as usual)

Alsie - 3/30/2005 4:00 PM

- a/c upgrade - simple to do - with help from the forum, looks great and WORKS !!!

/QUOTE

Alsie,

I ordered the control unit from Tilo but never arrived(45 days since order). Did you order your upgrade from them & if you did how long did it take to arrive?

ps: like the look of the radiator fin covers & am warming to the bonnet aero wings...mmmmm

alex

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
AM starting to worry now...

After paying 130K plus I don't expect to have ANYTHING go wrong. My last car was a Lexus , and it performed faultlessly from day 1.

This is our second Merc, but since the first was an A class I expect more from something that is a hell of a lot more expensive. (The A class has a few problems with the sun roof).
I am sure I will get terrific service, I just hope it ain't for warranty claims.

If I wanted temperament I would have gone the Italian route....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts