Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, we exchanged some posts about this. BlackSLK was going to get a new Nav DVD, I think. Did you get it?

Just recently, I noted that my Nav system is getting obsessed with an area called 'Ferny Grove'. It works fine otherwise, but goes through this mysterious area time and again on the map where there certainly is no such neighbourhood.

I will try to get a new one.

Any other updates or new information?

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
roadsta - 4/18/2005 7:33 PM

A while ago, we exchanged some posts about this. BlackSLK was going to get a new Nav DVD, I think. Did you get it?

Just recently, I noted that my Nav system is getting obsessed with an area called 'Ferny Grove'. It works fine otherwise, but goes through this mysterious area time and again on the map where there certainly is no such neighbourhood.

I will try to get a new one.

Any other updates or new information?

cheers
roadsta
I think you want the 2.0 DVD. I tried using copies to preserve the original and found that they only lasted about a week.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Roadsta,

Sounds like you are experiencing a similar bug to the one I have.

It's a bit of an up hill battle to get a new version 2 DVD. I've never heard so much BS about why they haven't got a new one yet.

It's also real hard to get the dealer to pay attention long enough to fix the faults in the car. Every time I have it back they have some other lame excuse why they haven't fixed things.

Takes the gloss off owning such a magnificent vehicle.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Has anyone got an Australian NAV DVD newer than version 2.1?

The replacement one I have is this version, but it is missing lots of streets including a whole section of Richmond near channel 9 which is inner city and has been there for a very long time.

·
Registered
Soon to be owner of ML 320 CDI
26 Posts
BlackSLK, can you play DVD's on your unit as well? I've got an M-Class on order, with the COMAND option pack, including TV and reversing camera and the dealer tells me that it will "definitely" play DVD's as well, but the online brochure for the vehicle has any reference to DVD's conspicuously absent. Does anyone know whether the COMAND unit in Australia is the same throughout the difference MB models (or more particularly, are they all enabled with the same functions. Thanks.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55AMG, '00 Boxster
16 Posts
I have had a problem where after I set a destination and pass through ANY exit of ANY round-abouts, the NAV tells me to turn left. Anyone else had the same issue?

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Boatman said:
BlackSLK, can you play DVD's on your unit as well? I've got an M-Class on order, with the COMAND option pack, including TV and reversing camera and the dealer tells me that it will "definitely" play DVD's as well, but the online brochure for the vehicle has any reference to DVD's conspicuously absent. Does anyone know whether the COMAND unit in Australia is the same throughout the difference MB models (or more particularly, are they all enabled with the same functions. Thanks.
Hi Boatman,
I went for a test drive of a 350 M class a while ago. From what I could see the COMANDs are the same as the SLK except for a few minor cosmetic changes on the surrounding facia. I didn't get a chance to actually try a DVD though, but from memory there was the menu item for DVDs. I am going to look at the V8 version at some stage soon so I will try a DVD then.

When you get your one, can you let me know what version nav disk you get. It would be good to see if newer versions have significantly better street coverage.

There was one thing I noticed about the nav system in my SLK. We've had a couple of hot days this week and yesterday I washed the car to get rid of some of the dust. I keep a chamois in the boot in the space next to the nav DVD drive. When I got it out, I touched the DVD drive and found it was fairly hot. I ejected the disk and it was even hotter. I think the nav drive mounted in the boot of a black car might be a bit of a problem on hot days. Now I'm concerned the DVD will warp or become unreadable and if replacements are several hundred dollars I think I might have to copy the disk and put the original away in a cooler place. Does anyone know if the nav systems will allow you to use copied disks? I noticed miroj said he had used copied disks and they didn't last. I wonder if this is some type of copy protection or if the copied disks are experiencing the same heat issue. (writable disks by their very nature are susceptable to heat since heating them with a laser is the way you actually write to them)

As for the question about the roundabouts, my nav system does tell you to turn left out of a roundabout, but that makes sense. It can be a bit confusing in a small roundabout because with the nav accuracy and by the time the voice prompt has finished you are past the exit you need to use. On bigger roundabouts it works very well though. On my car, the nav system tells you before you get to the roundabout which exit to use. ie. "at the roundabout turn left at the 2nd exit". You just have to make sure you are listening before you get there.

·
Registered
Soon to be owner of ML 320 CDI
26 Posts
Thanks BlackSLK. My 320CDI is not due for delivery until late Jan, but happy to let you know when it arrives re the version nav disk. Guess I will find out then just what I have actually paid for.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Boatman said:
Thanks BlackSLK. My 320CDI is not due for delivery until late Jan, but happy to let you know when it arrives re the version nav disk. Guess I will find out then just what I have actually paid for.
Probably Version 3.0 or later.

Sensis maps are now up to Version 13 and Version 3.0 is Sensis map 12.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Does anyone have a version 3.0 disk. I would like to know if that area around channel 9 now has names on the streets. Bendigo street Richmond is on mine but most of the other roads around there are shown but have no names. It would also be interesting to find out how much of country Victoria is now mapped.

I suppose you would know how much extra mapping data is on the new disk by the size of the data file. Has anyone with a version 3 disk put it in their PC to see how big the data file is?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
BlackSLK said:
Does anyone have a version 3.0 disk. I would like to know if that area around channel 9 now has names on the streets. Bendigo street Richmond is on mine but most of the other roads around there are shown but have no names. It would also be interesting to find out how much of country Victoria is now mapped.

I suppose you would know how much extra mapping data is on the new disk by the size of the data file. Has anyone with a version 3 disk put it in their PC to see how big the data file is?
I have a new one at $350 AUD which is a bargain now that the new price is $700 AUD.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
smileone96 said:
I have had a problem where after I set a destination and pass through ANY exit of ANY round-abouts, the NAV tells me to turn left. Anyone else had the same issue?
I think it is just the way it works, it tells you to leave the roundabout. It usually says something like "take the second exit from the roundabout...now turn left" when you are in the roundabout.

I suppose if you turn right you'll drive into the roundabout!

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Copied NAV DVDs work.

roadsta

·
Registered
'06 SLK55AMG, '00 Boxster
16 Posts
Thanks, I suppose that makes sense...it just seemed weird to me since the turn left message usually happened just after I leave a roundabout. But thinking about it it is possibly due to the delay and the time taken fpr the system to speak the instruction - by that time I am always already through the roundabout.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Hi Roadsta,

Do you have any experience on how long copied NAV DVDs work? I tried copying mine so I could put the original away in a cool place. It worked rather intermitently from the word go, and then stopped working altogether fairly soon after. I suspect I might have to try a few different media brands to find the one with the best results. I don't mind if the disc only lasts a couple of months each time. A 50 cent DVD replaced a few times a year is a much better proposition than spending $700 for a replacement DVD.

·
Registered
SLK350
9 Posts
My drama with the Nav system started one Saturday when I wanted to get to High St Armadale in Melbourne. For those who do not know, this is a fairly major suburban road a couple of K's out of the centre of town. The system did not find it but when I selected 'centre' it took me to High St. I then noticed a couple of other main roads seemed to be missing.

I complained to the Mercedes service guy next time I took the car in. He said to call Sensis which supply the data. Sensis said to call Blaupunkt which build the disk. Blaupunkt admitted that the street I was after was missing from my version of the disk and to talk to Mercedes about getting a new one.

So I had come full circle.... The guy I bought the car from had left so I spoke with the Sales manager, he said to bring the car in and the service guy would have a look at it. The service guy was great. He showed me that if you select 'Melbourne' as the location you can list all the High streets (this takes a minute or 2 but does work), there were only 3 listed. I had version 2 of the disk that came with the car, he went and got version 2.1 and it did the same thing. Again it listed only 3. He went and got version 3 of the disk and it listed 28 High Streets..... Amazingly still no high street in Armadale!!!

The service guy could not give me version 3 of the disk, I had to buy it, even though we had proved the original disk had some big problems with streets in Melbourne. He explained that even if he put in a service claim that the disk was damaged when shipped with the car I would only get a replacement of the original version not any updates or the latest disk. I thanked him for his time and asked to speak with the sales manager.

I explained that when I pay over 100k for a car with a Nav system I expect it have all the major streets in the inner suburban areas of the capital cites. Lexus give their customers a free update each year so why can't Mercedes. I continued to bitch until he gave in. He promised to get me a version 3 disk in a week or 2. After 3 weeks I called back because I had not heard from him and was told that he had left the dealership. I was not a happy customer at all..... I spoke to the new sales manager and bitched long and loud. He promised to get me a disk in 3 days, called the next day to confirm that it was on it way, 3 days later I picked it up from the service department.

The moral of the story is prove that the disk is missing streets you want to go to, tell your friendly sales guy that the next car you are going to buy is not going to be a Mercedes because their after sales service sucks and demand a new disk with the promise of buying a new merc in 6 months.

Rod

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
I just got off the phone with the dealer about the same thing. Yesterday I was trying to get to High street Prahran and same problem. It wouldn't show up (The name doesn't even show up when you hover the pointer over the road). I just dropped my car in for them to replace the sticking centre console lid (third time). They drove me back home in a new E class with NAV. I thought I'd have a quick look to see if High Street Prahran came up, and it was there. As soon as I got home I rang the service manager and asked her to get them to work out why it doesn't come up on my NAV system and fix it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts