Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a reliativly cheap audio upgrade for my 83 240D. It has stock radio and speakers, and i was wondering what anyone with a smiliar car did to upgrade the audio. I dont want a cd player, becuase i have an ipod that i use instead. I am more intrested in new speakers, becuase the bass on the stock really sucks, and they dont get very loud without distortion. Thanks for your suggestions [:D]

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Sony have good bass. Standard fitment on the A-Class, you may even find one on e-bay wh...

Sony have good bass. Standard fitment on the A-Class, you may even find one on e-bay which somebody has upgraded from. There's lots of replacement speakers available, although take the front dash ones as a guide when buying as these are a shallow fitment!

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know the biggest size i can go? I tried looking in my haynes manual, but couldnt fi...

Do you know the biggest size i can go? I tried looking in my haynes manual, but couldnt find it, maybe i am blind, ill keep looking.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
allright, here comes the newiew question [:I]after looking at several different (cheap...

allright, here comes the newbie question [:I]

after looking at several different (cheap) radio models i noticed that most of them were 100w, would this work/sound good with 4 speakers? I was thinking i need a 160w for 4 speakers, but sicne i am a newbie, i dont know much about car audio. Any help would be great, becuase i now have a headache from looking for a new cheap radio on ebay.[:(]

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Re: Do you know the biggest size i can go? I tried looking in my haynes manual, but couldnt fi

Do you know the biggest size i can go? I tried looking in my haynes manual, but couldnt find it, maybe i am blind, ill keep looking.
I think the dash were 10cm, but can't remember for sure. Take one out to use as a guide and get the closest fit, the covers secured with three screws although you will need a chubby screwdriver because of the windscreen. The first pair I bought for my 230CE was too deep and I had to take them back. They fitted okay but the heater vent hoses ran below them touching the speakers and causing them to distort and vibrate. Have you taken a look at your present speakers yet? I think you'll find their in a rather poor state, the paper cones on the original speakers tend to rot because of the condensation from the windscreen. If you replace the speakers you will find the sound of your stereo will improve no end.
after looking at several different (cheap) radio models i noticed that most of them were 100w, would this work/sound good with 4 speakers? I was thinking i need a 160w for 4 speakers, but sicne i am a newbie, i dont know much about car audio. Any help would be great, becuase i now have a headache from looking for a new cheap radio on ebay.
It all depends what you want from your stereo. My present stereo is a £120 Blaupunkt CD51 with front and rear GT series speakers (and extra £70). Although not an expensive unit the sound is awesome, it has a digital equalizer, different presets for the type of car and music, 32x over sampling, RDS, traffic report and more besides. Although it may not have the clarity or definition of my house stereo for a car its 4x25W RMS out is louder than I'll ever need even when a bit of Black Sabbath or Steve Vai is required[:D].

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your help! I just bought 2 4" Pyramid 4477's for the front, 180w combin...

Thanks so much for your help! I just bought 2 4" Pyramid 4477's for the front, 180w combined, and 2 5.25" Pyramid 5577's for the rear, 200w combined. Both are 3way triaxial. I also bought a Audiophase CA711, for $50 shipped on ebay. It doesnt come with the harness, so i guess i need to buy one of those. I removed my old becker europa cassette radio, and noticed that connections on the back were minimal. It looks to me like there is only L & R, 2 channel and then it goes to the fader in the center console and splits it into front and rear. I am assuming i would have to bypass the fader? I read somewhere about it, but i cant remember exactly. Also, is there any special power adaptor i would need to get for the radio? Sorry for al the questions, but i gotta start somewhere! [:)]

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Re: Thanks so much for your help! I just bought 2 4

I am assuming i would have to bypass the fader? I read somewhere about it, but i cant remember exactly.
Yes, the wires going to your fader will instead go strait to the head unit. You may need to extend the wire though.

Also, is there any special power adaptor i would need to get for the radio?
Not too sure what you mean here?
I would have thought the old 12V supply to the Becker would be used.
The new unit may need another live feed for the radio presets or clock which you'll have to find a live that is connected when the ignitions off, or it may just have an in built battery for that purpose.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, ill see if i can get the console off on monday when i get back from vacation. I didnt ...

Ok, ill see if i can get the console off on monday when i get back from vacation. I didnt know what i was talking about either, i just saw someone (i think i did..) talking about a power adaptor, but nm, ill try it when i get it. And would anyone be intreested in an old europe cassette player?

Thanks again,
Kevin

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my new head unit in today, and was messing with the wires trying to figure out what...

I got my new head unit in today, and was messing with the wires trying to figure out what did what. I got the gearbox cover off and took a look at the fader, but it doesnt make sense. I thought there would be mroe than 6 wires going into it. Anyways, can someone tell me which wires are which, so i can hook them up right? I'll try the 9v test when i can get a wire stripper. I figured out all the power wires, and antenna, but the speakers just dont make any sense.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
speaker wires

That's right there are six rather than eight speaker wires. The speakers share the same earth;

Left Rear +
Right Rear +
Left/Right Rear -
Left Front +
Right Front +
Left/Right Front -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.