Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isnt a traditional question but does anyone know how i can hook an amp for subs up to the factory head unit and what converters i would need?

·
Registered
13 Posts
dude im having this same problem and no one seems to know what to do. I did learn today that you can use speaker level input to hook them up. You have to find a way to access a rear speaker or factory sub woofer. I have a 2006 c230ss and i have no clue how to access the speakers. Find out how you can get to the speakers and i will tell you how to do it from there.

·
Registered
modified C43, WRX, and Explorer
295 Posts
depends how much quality you are trying to get out of it-

basic line out converter is very cheap and sounds ok

better things like offerings from audiocontrol, rockford, jl etc. cost more and sound better.

what all do you each plan to run?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 12 inch kicker L7s i know everyone seems to hate kickers cause they supposeably have bad sound quality but think about it they hit so hard u can barely breath whos thinking of sound quality from the bass at that point. Im not completely sure on what amp im going to run just yet if you have any suggestions lemme know.

Expo do you know how to gain access to the head unit??

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,733 Posts
To gain access to the head unit, you'll need some head unit removal tools. Check your local Best Buy for these.

Your stock head unit sends line level all the way to the trunk, which then connects to the factory amp. You can split the audio off from the wires, just before the connect to your stock amp, and then connect those into your secondary amp for the sub. No need for any converters.

The only time you'd really need a converter is if you're trying to run an aftermarket head unit with the stock amp (like I am). I had to get a PAC OEM-2 Line Level Converter to drop the volume from speaker level to line level since the aftermarket head has an amp inside. It cost me $37 shipped, and by using that I can still take advantage of the full BOSE sound system. It sounds great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
wow thank you for the input do you know where the stock amp is / how you can get to it. Id really appreciate it if you could do some step by step instructions or maybe a DIY with some pics of the install.

(Can barely see what im typing excuse my grammar please)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts