Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Gotcha. The wiring diagram in post 27 shows the OE size of all the wires used --- in mm. You would just convert mm to gauge. Some are 0.5mm, some are 0.75mm, and some are 1mm.

View attachment 2604821
Thanks for that, ya know it might be easier to run new speaker wires to each speaker individually instead of running the speaker level back up to the fader. Plus I can leave the factory wiring alone, buy a pigtail plug to fit the fader and tie the line level leads to it. so it can easily be undone. A larger gauge wire couldn't hurt SQ anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Teetering between Hertz Cento and Audison Prima as entry stage, the prices go to the moon for better. Focal Flax are out as they can only fit the rear, I hate mixing speaker brands so F&R have to be the same make and product line if possible...this limits my options.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
I don't think that factory fader is the right impedance for line out, its designed for 2 6 ohm speakers and presents a 3-6 ohm load to the amp driving it. line output is like 1k loads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think that factory fader is the right impedance for line out, its designed for 2 6 ohm speakers and presents a 3-6 ohm load to the amp driving it. line output is like 1k loads.
Good point, Probably the way to test that theory is to look up the EPC on a VIN that has the Active Bass stereo (speaker level fader) and compare the fader part number to the fader in a Sound System (line level fader) equipped VIN.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Good point, Probably the way to test that theory is to look up the EPC on a VIN that has the Active Bass stereo (speaker level fader) and compare the fader part number to the fader in a Sound System (line level fader) equipped VIN.
By chance, did your car come with the sound system?

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
ok, i looked up a generic, my 124.066 cabrio. 93's have the fader, 94+ don't. fader for 93's w/o Sound System is A1248202010, while faders for 93's with Sound System is A1248206410

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
if you have the active bass deck, you'll want to keep the active bass crossover, and use speaker-to-line conversion resistors to hook the 4 outputs up to your amplifier. if you're using an aftermarket deck, blow off the fader, and use the deck's line outputs.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts