Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the infamous Becker two-piece system with active bass in my '92 300E and want to upgrade/update the sound in the car. Since the entire car is original and very clean, I am not going to ruin it by ripping anything out and installing a proper system. I will be retaining the 1432 in the dash with the BT mod from beckerautosound, and I will be upgrading the speakers (they all work and are not damaged, I just want better sound). I have read every thread on this topic and I am aware of how difficult it is to find proper speakers within the factory spec.

Things that I know, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong:
  • The 1532 in the trunk puts out 15 watts x 2 as far as I can find, from there the fader cuts that in half.
  • The factory speakers are 6-ohm, this gets cut to 3 when the fader splits F+R evenly.
  • Any replacement speakers will be 4-ohm which means a 2-ohm load when the fader splits F+R evenly.
  • Any replacement speaker will be 30 watts RMS, and this is even nowhere near what the stock system can put out; as far as I can tell people drop them in and everything works fine.
The speakers I want are Rockford T 142's which are 4-ohm, 40W RMS, 86 dB sensitivity. I feel the extra 10 watts might be too much for the factory setup to make work given the above.
I have bought two Dayton audio LW150-4 6", 4-ohm mid-woofers to place in the doors-I hope they sound better than stock as the stock mid-woofers are overdriven and distort constantly.

My questions are these:
  • Are there any really decent speakers out there, anywhere that I can drop-in without changing anything else that will sound good?
  • Has anyone ever added a SMALL (30-40 watt RMS) amplifier in-line after the 1532 to boost the signal? If so, what were the results? ( I have no problems putting together a plug-in, removable clean install for this)
I will be posting this in the W124 Forum as well.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry I do not have the answers to your questions, but I hope you have success getting them. It is a good idea to put this in the W124 forum; you might want to cross-link the two so that everyone (including you) has access to all of the answers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts