Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If in fact the wiring harness for the 1999 ML with Bose is different than the 2000 and newer harness, and if in fact this is causing my 01 MCS/NAV not to work properly(turn by turn voice command and turn by turn display not working), can an adapter be made????<br> I know someone has the power to solve this??!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Give me more detail...

Hello Stewart,<br> <br> You stated you don't get the voice command but does your MCS give you visual direction on the LCD display??? Do you get 'off-road' or 'off-map' messages in the display???<br> <br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the written turn by turn, but...

I cannot get the voice command to give turn by turn directions and the map does not display the upcoming turns. If I press list, I will get a written list of turns. Tony thinks the harness is not compatible since the 1999 ML did not have the MCS and had a different type of NAV unit. My MCS does not say off road, but does pinpoint my location properly most of the time. Also when getting a route, the voice says proceed to the highlighted route, so the voice does work. I am zeroing in on the harness issue. Any thoughts?? Also I have a picture of the 99 wires of you think you can make heads or tails out of the wiring.<br> <br> Thanks for trying, we are all stumped!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: I get the written turn by turn, but...

Did you get the wire schematics for 1999 and 2000 MCS from the dealer? This is the best way to determine if you are missing any wires on the 1999 wire harness. Is the VSS( vehicle speed signal) wire attached to your MCS? Without the VSS you will get no direction instruction at all because the MCS think you car is not moving at all. When I was doing the retrofit of COMAND in my E55 I was not getting any navigation instruction until I hook up the VSS wire. I though the VSS signal was transmitted through CAN-Bus wires but it has it's own wire and not within the CAN-Bus. E-mail me the photo of your MCS plugs with all wires visible and I will compare it with my 2001 ML320. I think I may have the wire schmatic for the 2001 ML somewhere.<br> <br> John<br> <br> P.S. You live in Boston? I lived there for 11 years and now I visit Boston twice a year. I was just there 2 weeks ago. MAN! The big dig is a real mess!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will send photos...

Thanks VERY much and I think the VSS wire is the issue. I will email you photos of the wire and hopefully we can find the VSS wire and put this problem to bed.<br> I did not notice the problem with the big dig, the traffic always sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! The real fun is having the NAV unit give me street by street in downtown where streets do not even exist anymore...

·
Registered
91 500SL 80K / 2003 E500 120K (Runs Perfect!)
69 Posts
VVS wire

I am installing a comand 2.0 in my 98 e320
did you ever find the VSS wire?

Thanks !

Henry T
(Ashland Ma)

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
If in fact the wiring harness for the 1999 ML with Bose is different than the 2000 and newer harness, and if in fact this is causing my 01 MCS/NAV not to work properly(turn by turn voice command and turn by turn display not working), can an adapter be made????<br> I know someone has the power to solve this??!!
What year is your ML? You may need the VSS adapter parts from the Euro ML.

-s-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts