Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SL500
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a Audio 30 Nav in a sl500 it pluged right in but you can turn it on with the car off. does anyone know the wiring for it

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
patfarrell said:
i just put a Audio 30 Nav in a sl500 it pluged right in but you can turn it on with the car off. does anyone know the wiring for it
Just to double check, do you mean "you can" or "you can't" turn it on when the car is off?

MB anyway has a system to auto-shut-down the audio (and other stuff) if nothing is operated in the car for some time, about 20 minutes or so. You should not be worried about running the battery flat even if you accidentally leave the radio on.

The radio should switch off with car switch off though (only if switched on manually when car is off, the auto-shut-down turns it off).

·
Registered
2001 SL500
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can turn it on with the car off. But it stays on when i thurn the car off i have to shut it off myself. I checked the wires and the power wire is hot with the car off.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
patfarrell said:
i can turn it on with the car off. But it stays on when i thurn the car off i have to shut it off myself. I checked the wires and the power wire is hot with the car off.
New (and not so new) MBs do not have switched power for the radio but instead the radio is controlled via the CAN bus (and possibly wake-up line for the fibre system).

I might try it on my car but it may be normal that it does not auto-shut-down if you switch the radio on manually when car is off. Even in this case the radio should turn off if you wait long enough (20-30 minutes). This is the way some after market devices work, cannot remember from my W211 radio.

If the radio is first switched off when the car is off, it should turn on when you turn the car on, then the radio should also turn off when you turn the car off.

·
Registered
CL500 2000
38 Posts
New (and not so new) MBs do not have switched power for the radio but instead the radio is controlled via the CAN bus (and possibly wake-up line for the fibre system).

I might try it on my car but it may be normal that it does not auto-shut-down if you switch the radio on manually when car is off. Even in this case the radio should turn off if you wait long enough (20-30 minutes). This is the way some after market devices work, cannot remember from my W211 radio.

If the radio is first switched off when the car is off, it should turn on when you turn the car on, then the radio should also turn off when you turn the car off.
Hi,
I have the similar problem. My audio can switch on when the car is off, but the problem is it will auto shutdown after 30 minutes even though the car is on. Any help is appreciate.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Hi,
I have the similar problem. My audio can switch on when the car is off, but the problem is it will auto shutdown after 30 minutes even though the car is on. Any help is appreciate.

Thanks
I don't think you mentioned if the radio turns off and on when you switch ignition off and on. If it does not, then seems like you have power to your radio but no CAN signals. Either connector loose or detached or for some reason the radio configuration has been lost (it might be expecting circuit 15 signal from a pin instead of a CAN signal).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts