Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the stock radio in my 98 E300DT and 96 G-Wagen with Audio 10 CD models bought off of ebay.de. They work great, but now I'd like to hook up an iPod to the head unit.

Several vendors (ex: rcainput.com) sell devices that allow you to hook up to the CD-Changer port for other head units. I can't figure out what to buy/build that would solve this problem.

The Audio 10 CD's that I have are made by Alpine. Alpine seems to have two standards: AI-Net and M-Bus. How can I tell which system mine use, or is there a third MB specific twist to all of this?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
I've replaced the stock radio in my 98 E300DT and 96 G-Wagen with Audio 10 CD models bought off of ebay.de. They work great, but now I'd like to hook up an iPod to the head unit.

Several vendors (ex: rcainput.com) sell devices that allow you to hook up to the CD-Changer port for other head units. I can't figure out what to buy/build that would solve this problem.

The Audio 10 CD's that I have are made by Alpine. Alpine seems to have two standards: AI-Net and M-Bus. How can I tell which system mine use, or is there a third MB specific twist to all of this?
Hey Alan, how've you been?

The Audio 10 CD uses fibre optics for communication with other components of the telematics system. So it uses neither M-Bus nor AI-Net. Older Mercedes radios use M-Bus (whether they were Becker or Alpine). Newer Mercedes radios (1999+ in most models) use D2B (domestic digital bus), which is over fibre optic cabling. D2B is a Becker standard, and is used whether the device is made by Alpine, Becker, or Panasonic (most of the Mercedes changers made by Panasonic were used in the ML, but I have one that is D2B).

I have a few boxes of new Audio 10 CDs for $250, but a lot of people want to use other inputs so they aren't suitable for them. I have one installed in one of my cars as a test unit, but it kind of has a wonky user interface and doesn't control my phone. :(

The COMAND unit has an auxiliary input, and that's what I use for my iPod on my G500/etc.

-s-

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scorchie,

I've been fine. Motoring in relative ease.

Too bad about the Audio 10 C...

scorchie,

I've been fine. Motoring in relative ease.

Too bad about the Audio 10 CD & the optical bus. I was hoping there was some alternative offered on one of the ISO plugs.

I'll just use an iTrip with the iPod. That has the advantage that it can be operated from the back seat too. The FM quality isn't be much of an issue once the wind and tire noise are factored in.

Have you figured out how to tell the Audio 10 CD to operate on the US band spacing?

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
i was wondering how i could get one of these in-dash cd players...
[:)]...

[:)]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: i was wondering how i could get one of these in-dash cd players...

[:)]
E-mail me... I have a few. :)

-s-

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: scorchie,

Have you figured out how to tell the Audio 10 CD to operate on the US band spacing?
Alan, I am working on that this week. If I get it working, I will let you know... that way you can pull in Radio Disney perfectly. :)

-s-

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Re: scorchie,

Alan, I am working on that this week. If I get it working, I will let you know... that way you can pull in Radio Disney perfectly. :)

-s-
Alan, I reprogrammed it and it works fine... now tunes at 10KHz increments. Also, there are options to enable/disable SW and MW, if one so desires!

-s-

·
Registered
Mercedes 190D 2.2
3 Posts
MB Audio 10 CD

I was wondering how I could reprogram my Audio 10 CD to pick up AM stations and FM stations without using even intervals. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Re: Audio 10 CD RCA jack adapter?

Do the Command Units for all models like the 2003 S430 have an auxiliary input?

Where is it located?

Thanks!

David

I'd like to hook up an iPod to the head unit.

The COMAND unit has an auxiliary input, and that's what I use for my iPod on my G500/etc.

-s-

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Audio 10 CD RCA jack adapter?

Do the Command Units for all models like the 2003 S430 have an auxiliary input?

Where is it located?

Thanks!

David
Not all COMANDs have aux input, but the 2003 S430 does. There will either be a minijack in the glove box, or there is a connector on the back that a wire harness can be added.

I suggest you search in the forums, this has been covered many times. You may want to look at mbworld.org, because their search function is much better.

-s-

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Re: Re: i was wondering how i could get one of these in-dash cd players...

Hey Scorchie,

Are your Audio 10s for W203s? (mine's a 2002 c230k)
I have them both for W203/W209/W463 (C/CLK/G) as well as W202/208/210/140/163-R170/129 (the square ones).

If you're local, I can aid in the install as the W203-type is a little more involved than the other ones.

-s-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: i was wondering how i could get one of these in-dash cd players...

Hey Scorchie,

Are your Audio 10s for W203s? (mine's a 2002 c230k)
I have them both for W203/W209/W463 (C/CLK/G) as well as W202/208/210/140/163-R170/129 (the square ones).

If you're local, I can aid in the install as the W203-type is a little more involved than the other ones.

-s-

How much are you selling them for?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Re: scorchie,

Alan, I reprogrammed it and it works fine... now tunes at 10KHz increments. Also, there are options to enable/disable SW and MW, if one so desires!

-s-
OK ... so how do I do it? A magic button sequence?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: scorchie,

-s-
OK ... so how do I do it? A magic button sequence?
It's more involved than that... shoot me an e-mail or if you still have my number, a call.

-s-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts